Standard, platform independent simulations for DIYAudio - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2014, 11:22 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

At the very least, LTspice will download the file and use it in the simulation. After it downloads it, I don't know what it does with it. The documentation for the .lib/.inc/.ferret commands is not detailed. I'll have to do some tests and see.

You don't have to say or do something special, just send Mike an email and describe the problem. I've done it and he responded even though I was mistaken.

Unfortunately, it won't allow to see those models in the GUI. Perhaps if you made a schematic in the /lib/cmp directory with that line, and the web file was named standard.bjt, it would rewrite it and show the new version in the GUI, but this would be inconvenient because you'd have to store all your schematics in the cmp directory. Furthermore, I don't know if LTSpice would detect the changes right away or if it would require a restart.

In Linux I could perhaps make a symbolic link in the schematic directory to /lib/cmp/standard.bjt, so that LTSpice would unwittingly overwrite the standard.bjt. I don't know if this could be done on Windows or Mac though.
Old 28th February 2014, 02:18 AM   #42
gannaji is offline gannaji  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
First, see if you can download the file in your browser using this:

http://startfetch.com/keantoken/ltspice/kean4.bjt

If not, then it is a problem with the server or with your network. If you can download the file, then it's a problem with LTSpice. If you go to Help->About, it will give you Mike's email address and you can send him a report.
It is getting downloaded as "kean4.hmt"

edit: It could be renamed as kean4.bjt and opening in word pad normally.

Last edited by gannaji; 28th February 2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old 28th February 2014, 03:30 AM   #43
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Maybe you should standardize on a "DA" suffix on the models (like Bob Cordell does with "C") to let LTSpice choose the correct library
That was a bit of a brain-fart, IMHO, since a lot of parts can have a suffix anyway e.g. there's BC547A/B/C as well as ungraded BC547. Apparently Bob based his models on ungraded parts, so the "C" suffix can be misleading.

Anyway, my solution was to edit the text file and add a "bob" prefix to all the part numbers. That also groups all the decent models together alphabetically, which I find useful.
Old 28th February 2014, 04:56 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

I use an underscore before the suffixes that aren't part of the part number, so I got that covered.

As I suggested earlier in this thread, if we work with LTspice instead of despite it, we can replace the standard.bjt with a read-only copy of a vetted model library, with model metadata added with inline comments rather than on the model number line. This could be more compatible with SPICE->PCB workflow and would just be a cleaner solution overall I think.
Old 28th February 2014, 04:59 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannaji View Post
It is getting downloaded as "kean4.hmt"

edit: It could be renamed as kean4.bjt and opening in word pad normally.
That's strange - could LTSpice be going through Explorer to do this, and Explorer is automatically renaming it? Try this:

Code:
.lib http://fidelityforce.com/keantoken/ltspice/kean4.bjt
And if that doesn't work, try this:

Code:
.ferret http://fidelityforce.com/keantoken/ltspice/kean4.bjt
.lib kean4.htm
I assumed you misspelled .htm to .hmt, but use the extension that it gets when downloaded.
Old 28th February 2014, 08:53 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Try it again now. The webserver was changed so the file wouldn't try to display in the browser; that may what cause it to change the extension to .htm.
Old 28th February 2014, 09:31 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I use an underscore before the suffixes that aren't part of the part number, so I got that covered.
Won't that prevent any integration with other packages? Such as eagle or whatever. When the part numbers are altered that way, they can't match.

Plus it's kind of disturbing to see on the schematics some odd looking part name, especially if those part names have been stretched with extraneous characters.

Quote:
As I suggested earlier in this thread, if we work with LTspice instead of despite it, we can replace the standard.bjt with a read-only copy of a vetted model library, with model metadata added with inline comments rather than on the model number line. This could be more compatible with SPICE->PCB workflow and would just be a cleaner solution overall I think.
Exactly!! I think this is more suitable and work work better. It would be nice to see the exact part name on schematics too.
Old 28th February 2014, 09:46 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

The problem is, when I drop my library into a thread, no one will even try to use it unless it's an uncomplicated process.

I can't edit out the suffixes until I have a system in place that will make that a wise idea. Until then I have to make them stand out.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:08 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The problem is, when I drop my library into a thread, no one will even try to use it unless it's an uncomplicated process.
You're likely right, it needs to be easy and simple.

Quote:
I can't edit out the suffixes until I have a system in place that will make that a wise idea. Until then I have to make them stand out.
That's fine, we're searching and things will evolve. You've had plenty of very nice ideas so far to make this very good. Let's take it one step at a time.

I just tried again and got the same error. I'm posting a screenshot for illustration.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 11.04.33 AM.png (39.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 28th February 2014, 10:13 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

You'll have to ask Mike about it like I suggested. Does kean.bjt appear in the schematic directory?

Hide this!Advertise here!