Standard, platform independent simulations for DIYAudio - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2014, 10:34 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Cool! But a prior backup may be a good idea before overwriting this, and perhaps double checking that it does work properly on all the platforms in the same way.

Not using windows or linux, I can't compare, but I can double check on the mac layout to make sure it matches.

We don't want to remove all the models that come with ltspice though, especially if we have no other known good model to replace them with, we should keep them handy if needed, otherwise the chase for models continues.
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:37 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

There will certainly be a lot of LTSpice stuff left. It's mainly the semiconductor models that are problematic, the other models such as subcircuits and encrypted models are fine as far as I know.
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:47 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Very good then. I will follow recommendations and do what needs to be done to check on the mac platform.

It's a pain not to be able to choose models from the gui. I always have to add models to the standard library and then comment them out later when they're in place in schematics.

I want to have the models not in the default standard libraries put into an external file so it can be shared along with the asc file.

And since the mac ltspice has been crash prone when models are duplicated in the standard libraries and embedded in the asc file, I prefer leaving them in external files, which prevents those crashes. Besides, having models embedded in asc files is nice for sharing, but it makes for very messy schematics, especially when many models are embedded.

I like to make the schematics clean and understandable. I've seen so many that aren't even readable by a normal human being. If I can't easily make out everything in a schematic, then it needs to be cleaned up.

If we get this sharing going well enough, then we no longer need to bother with embedding and external model files, we just need to point to a link where the repository is for those who don't already have that.
Old 27th February 2014, 04:00 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I've been looking through the LTSpice manual and discovered I can do this:

Code:
.lib https://startfetch.com/keantoken/ltspice/kean4.bjt
It actually download the file from the net! This could help. We could host the latest version somewhere and instead of distributing copies, we would point the simulator to the webpage. That way the file would always be the latest version.

This solves another problem as well. Every time you make a new schematic you have to add all the support files to its directory. If we put the .ferret command in a template schematic, then a whole simulation environment could be downloaded into the directory the template was saved to. Then to share the simulation, just zip the directory and it should work for anyone.

Of course this has the disadvantage that there could be a lot of redundant files; different environments/contexts could be provided so you wouldn't have a digital model library taking up space in a tube amp simulation.

The main advantage is that it's user-friendly. A person only needs to run the simulation and everything works out, with less needing to mess with files and directories, as long as there is a server and an internet connection. You don't need to worry about having an old version.

The .ferret command could be manually added into the template with notepad so that it doesn't show up on the schematic, in case there needed to be a lot of URLs.
Old 27th February 2014, 06:48 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't it be good to have a wiki on this site with the info about doing all this properly? with links, details and explanations.

This is the first time I even heard of that .ferret command, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. What is it? what does it do?

There are enough differences between platforms to make it tricky to make it work everywhere, so if a wiki has the info related to each platform, that can remove the searching every time for anyone who doesn't know yet how to do it.

Besides, for those like me who's memory fails all the time, a place to check things out and recall procedures would be a great help.

We're getting somewhere!
Old 27th February 2014, 06:51 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Ok, here's my first feedback on this: I've just tried adding that line to a small sim.

.lib https://startfetch.com/keantoken/ltspice/kean4.bjt
And it tells me in a popup: Could not open library file

I'm on mac, so here is one example of platform specific issue.
Old 27th February 2014, 05:43 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Oops, startfetch.com doesn't support HTTPS:// so it failed for me too. Just use HTTP://.

If that works for you, then we're all set. If not, then it is a bug and we should tell the LTSpice coder about it.
Old 27th February 2014, 06:08 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Oops, startfetch.com doesn't support HTTPS:// so it failed for me too. Just use HTTP://.

If that works for you, then we're all set. If not, then it is a bug and we should tell the LTSpice coder about it.
I just tried it and got the same error.

What can it be?
Old 27th February 2014, 09:50 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

First, see if you can download the file in your browser using this:

http://startfetch.com/keantoken/ltspice/kean4.bjt

If not, then it is a problem with the server or with your network. If you can download the file, then it's a problem with LTSpice. If you go to Help->About, it will give you Mike's email address and you can send him a report.
Old 27th February 2014, 10:06 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
First, see if you can download the file in your browser using this:

http://startfetch.com/keantoken/ltspice/kean4.bjt
That was the first thing I checked, and it does come up.

Quote:
If you can download the file, then it's a problem with LTSpice. If you go to Help->About, it will give you Mike's email address and you can send him a report.
I wouldn't know what to send and ask. I'm not sure what to expect exactly.
What is supposed to happen with that file when it comes through? Where should it go? Does it allow seeing those models in the gui?

Hide this!Advertise here!