LEAP Software: Who has used it themselves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
*cross posting this on tech-talk*

Note: This thread is not about Madisound/Meniscus' LEAP crossover services.

I recently got a copy of LEAP through an industry friend to play around with. I measured my speaker on a mock-enclosure (front baffle will likely be pretty much the same) and took both NF & FF measurements along with impedance sweeps and imported them all in to LEAP.

I then played around with different crossover points, using the "Wizard", trying 2.2khz, 2.5khz all with LR4 targets and 2nd order order slopes between the mid and high. In every case, the mid's SPL level is about 2dB higher than the target flat line, while the tweeter response falls pretty close to the target. I'm not sure if LEAP is doing anything to compensate for BSC or what it thinks is needed BSC. I've been searching and reading posts on diya to see if I can get some tricks of the trade but haven't had a lot of luck.

I'm curious if someone here has used or currently uses LEAP for their crossover design and may be able to offer some input here. Did you use the wizard, and was it a good approximation of the final passive design you used? Any tips on using this program. I figure by measuring on the baffle I will be using, it would help make the simulation a bit more accurate, but I don't know for certain.

Any input in to personal experiences with the program would be appreciated.

I can post up my sims later tonight if desired.

- Erin

*cross posting this on tech-talk*

Note: This thread is not about Madisound/Meniscus' LEAP crossover services.

I recently got a copy of LEAP through an industry friend to play around with. I measured my speaker on a mock-enclosure (front baffle will likely be pretty much the same) and took both NF & FF measurements along with impedance sweeps and imported them all in to LEAP.

I then played around with different crossover points, using the "Wizard", trying 2.2khz, 2.5khz all with LR4 targets and 2nd order order slopes between the mid and high. In every case, the mid's SPL level is about 2dB higher than the target flat line, while the tweeter response falls pretty close to the target. I'm not sure if LEAP is doing anything to compensate for BSC or what it thinks is needed BSC. I've been searching and reading posts on diya to see if I can get some tricks of the trade but haven't had a lot of luck.

I'm curious if someone here has used or currently uses LEAP for their crossover design and may be able to offer some input here. Did you use the wizard, and was it a good approximation of the final passive design you used? Any tips on using this program. I figure by measuring on the baffle I will be using, it would help make the simulation a bit more accurate, but I don't know for certain.

Any input in to personal experiences with the program would be appreciated.

I can post up my sims later tonight if desired.

- Erin
2dB increase on the midrange is common in the real world before accounting for baffle step. Type used in the wizard are to improve phase coherency at crossover point. LR4 to produce a 2nd order acoustic slope. Sounds like a crossover point for a 6.5" to tweeter, best guess.

Post away. I don't have LEAP running (machine in storage) alas an older version. Have used most software and a few decades experience

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.