Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2013, 11:59 PM   #1
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Windows Passive Crossover Designer v1.2 available for download

I've been working on a few changes to WinPCD since the last time I posted. A couple of new versions were posted with small changes earlier, but I never posted due to the changes being small, little reason for updating if you already had it. The first one (1.105) included the power response (crossover effects only), added an option to adjust the SPL raw driver magnitude at any point in time (not just during import) and a bug fix. The second one (v1.106) was a bug fix only. More detail on these and the new version can be found at the WinPCD web site.

It's probably worth updating to the new version. The major change relates to the schematic window. Until now it was a passive display of the schematic layout selected with an overlay of the component values, primarily for printing. Now the user can design directly from the schematic display. When component values are changed in the schematic window, the main window is updated as are all calculations and any graphs affected. This should be a lot more intuitive, especially for new users. I've also added a resistor to the capacitor leg of the "before" and "after" sections. Complete details can be found at the "Versions" page.

One last note. I've created some initial training videos. I don't know when I'll get additional ones added, but the basics to start are available. The WinPCD forum (link at the WinPCD section of my site) is the best place for questions. I may add embedded videos there, it seems a logical place for asking questions related to them. I'm not sure yet how that may work out. All of this is new to me. Just setting up a channel at youtube takes a bit of time the first time.

The first two videos were made using v1.103, so it will look a little different from the current version, but the control layout is unchanged.

If you have any problems at all, please post at the WinPCD forum. Threads won't get lost in over time.

dlr
Old 14th November 2013, 07:02 PM   #2
ilardi is offline ilardi  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for making this available. There was really only one thing that I didn't like about the original-and that was that I needed a copy of Excel on the machine I wanted to run it on!

This is terrific. While the inconvenience of having Excel on that machine was tolerable given the excellence of Jeff Bagby's program, this is even better. Thanks again.
Old 16th November 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm glad that you like it.

I've just uploaded a small update. I never liked the way the schematic window would obscure another one due to the text area above the schematic. The layout is the only change in this update. The new layout has the schematic at the top so that you can re-size the window to show only the schematic or even just a portion of it. With the main window on a driver tab and re-sized or using only the system window, the display size needed can be much smaller. There is a screen capture example on the version details page.

dlr

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th November 2013, 09:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I`d like to try this tool but no version so far displayed the curves despite properly reading the data files and following the tutorial vid. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th November 2013, 01:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your link doesn't work.

If you'd like, send me the files and I'll check it out.

Dave

Last edited by dlr; 17th November 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 17th November 2013, 06:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Oh,sorry about the link to nowhere. Dont know how it got there... Anyway,more to the point. I just deinstalled WinPCD and reinstalled the actual version V1.2. Still no joy,it even doesnt show the graphs of the samplefiles,despite loading the speaker data properly. Im not sure if the programm is at fault here or im missing a essential system dll or something like that. My OS is Win7/64,NET version is 4.5.
Old 17th November 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedell View Post
Oh,sorry about the link to nowhere. Dont know how it got there... Anyway,more to the point. I just deinstalled WinPCD and reinstalled the actual version V1.2. Still no joy,it even doesnt show the graphs of the samplefiles,despite loading the speaker data properly. Im not sure if the programm is at fault here or im missing a essential system dll or something like that. My OS is Win7/64,NET version is 4.5.
The program is targeted for 4.0. I've been under the impression that 4.5 is backward compatible. My system isWin7/64 Pro.

Send me the files if would, I can easily see if there's an issue with them or not.

Dave
Old 18th November 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
JMB is offline JMB  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

I like your updates. Any chance that you might add in an ability for the program to auto update or to check for updates?

Thanks.

Jay
Old 19th November 2013, 02:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Hi Dave,

I like your updates. Any chance that you might add in an ability for the program to auto update or to check for updates?

Thanks.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Automatic updates, no. I'm using VS Express and its Click-Once installer. I think that there is a way to check for updates, but I intended to keep any web access out of it. I'll consider adding a button so that the user can check for updates , but don't know when I'll have time to look into it.

Dave
Old 19th November 2013, 02:15 PM   #10
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlr View Post
Hi Jay,

Automatic updates, no. I'm using VS Express and its Click-Once installer. I think that there is a way to check for updates, but I intended to keep any web access out of it. I'll consider adding a button so that the user can check for updates , but don't know when I'll have time to look into it.

Dave
I've implemented a 'check for updates' and an 'install updates' button on my ClickOnce app. I'll happily give you the code for it if you want to implement it.

Pete

P.S. Good work with the software...

Hide this!Advertise here!