Pentode SPICE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With some success for triode models, I thought I'd take the information from Koren, Leach, Rydel etc. and expand the Microsoft Excel Solver routine:

Here's a first approximation using the minima of log squashed error and all the data points:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When the anode voltage data points Vak<=50 are removed, the SPICE parameters become more useful:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm all ears to anyone who can improve this.

For another check on the accuracy, could you please plot some transfer characteristics (Eg1 vs Ip at constant Eg2 like in the datasheets)?

Do you mean hold Vak constant and plot Ip vs Eg1?

Attachments

• 6LU8_IPvsVg1.gif
    6LU8_IPvsVg1.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 275
Here's how the curves fit, with the parameters used to get best fit in the previous chart:

Optimizing using solver can make it appear better:

But the new parameters result in this mess:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
I used Google Translate to get through it, a lot of the text are math anyway, so you should have no difficultly understand them. But basically, Ayumi's model building process relies on electrical equivalent circuits, KCL and Child-Langmuir law unlike Koren's phenomenological approach. Ayumi's pctube program also uses a curve fitting technique similar to what you are doing with the Excel Solver routine.

I used Google Translate to get through it, a lot of the text are math anyway, so you should have no difficultly understand them. But basically, Ayumi's model building process relies on electrical equivalent circuits, KCL and Child-Langmuir law unlike Koren's phenomenological approach. Ayumi's pctube program also uses a curve fitting technique similar to what you are doing with the Excel Solver routine.
Hi jazbo8,

I always use the Bing Translator

This translator give good results but it is for the math I need a translator ... :eek:

Here is Ayumi's 6LU8 model vs. the datasheet. Ayumi's model building process is described here. The key is not to use the Koren parameters...

This is the kind of accurate curves I like to have for every pentode or "beam power" tubes. I am not a math crack and I never try making a tube spice model by myself but I think this site will help me to understand how to do it.

This page explain the equivalent circuit of a triode and a pentode :

ayumi.cava.jp/audio/pctube/node47.html#SECTION00952000000000000000 - Translator

This is nice but I wonder if it is possible to get all the necessary data for the formulas only from the datasheet specifications and curves ?

I think the first step for a beginner like me to understand how the tubes models works is experimenting with fictive models and test tube data, just to see what kind of curves they produce. I also need to know more about the "URAMP" function because it is used almost everywhere ...

I think the pentode curves should be very accurate in the upper left where is the 0V knee and the lower right because this is where the tube is really operating in a power amplifier circuit, where pass the AC load line.

Thank you for this link ! :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
This is nice but I wonder if it is possible to get all the necessary data for the formulas only from the datasheet specifications and curves ?

The data usually comes from the datasheet, but sometimes, the data comes from traced curves from actual tubes, the formulas then try to describe in mathematical terms how to best describe the tubes' properties (not always successful though).

I think the first step for a beginner like me to understand how the tubes models works is experimenting with fictive models and test tube data, just to see what kind of curves they produce. I also need to know more about the "URAMP" function because it is used almost everywhere ...

You are being too modest, you are not a beginner :D uramp(x) = x if x > 0, else 0. I'm not sure if SIMetrix uses it though, in any case, the Ayumi pctube library contains all the models in SIMetrix .MOD format, so you can use them directly.

I think the pentode curves should be very accurate in the upper left where is the 0V knee and the lower right because this is where the tube is really operating in a power amplifier circuit, where pass the AC load line.

That's actually the hardest part - around the knees, as shown by Robert in this post.

Great to see you back on the forum!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.