LIMP high impedance readings - please advise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
btntx is offline btntx  United States
diyAudio Member

Question LIMP high impedance readings - please advise

For some reason the impedance reading that I get from ARTA/LIMP are a little high. They look to be about double of what they should be. The image below is from an 8 ohm midrange driver. I'm using this jig design with a 10 ohm, 2 watt resistor. I've got a Diamond Digital HD 7.1 USB external sound card. F-out to jig, Line-in from jig. I've also tried using the internal laptop sound card which had the same results.

Can someone please advise me on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mid-2.jpg (346.5 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by btntx; 28th September 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 28th September 2013, 10:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Never mind. I'm ordering the DATS system. To anyone thinking of saving a buck by using downloaded software and cobbling a jig together, forget it. You'll spend countless hours and and more money than it would take to buy a proper measurement system. Troubleshooting tinker-toy electronics and begging for information on forums will consume your project.
Old 28th September 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
hongrn is offline hongrn  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you calibrate properly before measuring? No matter what you use, whether it's ARTA or DATS, if your hardware ain't right, you're going to have a very hard time getting good results. If you used a 10-ohm resistor, did you change the set up in LIMP and indicate so? Go to Set Up>Measurement. ARTA defaults the reference resistor to a 100 ohm value, so if you use a 10 ohm resistor, you need to make that change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btntx View Post
For some reason the impedance reading that I get from ARTA/LIMP are a little high. They look to be about double of what they should be. The image below is from an 8 ohm midrange driver. I'm using this jig design with a 10 ohm, 2 watt resistor. I've got a Diamond Digital HD 7.1 USB external sound card. F-out to jig, Line-in from jig. I've also tried using the internal laptop sound card which had the same results.

Can someone please advise me on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

Last edited by hongrn; 28th September 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 29th September 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks hong. Actually, in my fit of frustration I got it working! All it took was swapping out the resistor with a 100 ohm and moving the output line to the headphone jack and there it was. I just about dropped to my knees and started crying!

Hide this!Advertise here!