WIN& folder access/denial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Windows 7 is very fussy about everything. Even the administrator cannot access folders that it thinks it owns. You have to change the permissions and owners of folders. It appears that Microsoft doesn't want you to look at any folder other than the ones they allow access to.

Search at sevenforums because I don't have explicit instructions for what I did to get past this and make it behave like XP where the administrator can access everything.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I had problems with LTspice and W7 and (with the help from someone on this forum) changed the permissions. I made a note for future reference. Also I find that while Vista allows a .asc file to be opened directly, W7 always brings up a brief error message and warning sound if I try the same, although it does in fact run OK. In W7 I always tend to open LTSpice and browse from there to open any files.

Here's what I did for W7,

1) Goto the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\LTC' (or the folder where LTSpice is installed).

2) Right-click on the folder 'LTC' and open properties.

3) On the tab Security press Edit

4) On permissions (the edit dialog) press Add.

5) Now add your name to the list.

6) When returned in the Permissions dialog select 'Full Control' (with your name high-lighted in the list of names)

I'm thinking I went as far as making myself owner of every drive, and then allowing all the other users that Win 7 uses for itself full control of the drive. I got sick of having to change permissions every time I needed to do something.

It's not the safest method, but if you're the only using the PC and know what you're doing, I can't think of an easier way to do it. I would not do this on a shared PC. And, I'm sure an IT control freak would shudder at the very thought of it.

I'm thinking I went as far as making myself owner of every drive, and then allowing all the other users that Win 7 uses for itself full control of the drive. I got sick of having to change permissions every time I needed to do something.

It's not the safest method, but if you're the only using the PC and know what you're doing, I can't think of an easier way to do it. I would not do this on a shared PC. And, I'm sure an IT control freak would shudder at the very thought of it.

An now ALL viral software that you may have has access to all data and software you own. The protection is not against YOU but against THEM :) (the viral software).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.