Looking for helpful programs on building speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Mr Jeff is offline Mr Jeff  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for helpful programs on building speakers?

Hello All,

I am looking for programs that I can use that will help me with my box designs? I was looking at (bass box pro) But, thats $209.00 plus shipping and the measuring programs I was looking at with a amp inside is $700.00 plus shipping? I have used (winISD) But, I want more in shape and sizes for the boxes and stuffing in the boxes. I just don't want to spend the money if their are programs with me making home made mics and being able to do it my self for almost next to nothing? Thanks Mr. Jeff
Old 20th July 2013, 01:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Unibox, Arta
Old 20th July 2013, 05:13 PM   #3
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

For modelling the diffraction effects of different cabinet shapes, I use 3 programs:

Loudspeaker Design Software - rectangular shapes only, with edge treatment
Baffle Diffraction Simulator - more complex shapes and edge treatment. Somewhat steep learning curve.
Tolvan Data - any flat shape you can imagine but no edge treatment. Doesn't save to an FRD file.

For box effects, I prefer Unibox. I like its user interface better than winISD, plus it includes stuffing effects, port resonances and step response. Also passive radiator sims.

SPL Trace is also a must if you are going this way. Look in the FRD Consortium

To finish off, you can't beat PCD, Passive Crossover Designer. Loudspeaker Design Software

All are free. Most require Excel though.
Old 20th July 2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Jay1111 is offline Jay1111  United States
diyAudio Member

The simplest measurement setup you can get is Omnimic, and DATS

Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 Precision Audio Measurement System 390-792
Dayton Audio DATS Dayton Audio Test System 390-806

But that's $400. There are a multitude of far cheaper DIY alternatives which I'm sure someone can point out (I use the above setup).

WinISD pro is the easiest (IMO) box modeling program to use, and free.
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

The Jeff Bagby speaker design software is extremely powerful and comprehensive, and free.
http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

This is everything I use to design speakers/subs from the ground up.

Last edited by Jay1111; 20th July 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 20th July 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't have any feedback on these programs but the price is certainly attractive.

TrueRTA is a test and measurement program available in different resolutions. The most basic version is FREE, for 1/3rd Octave measurements, the price is $40. For 1/6th Octave measurements, the price is $70, and for 1/24th Octave measurements the price is a still modest $100 -

True Audio: Audio Spectrum Analyzer and Loudspeaker Design Software

TrueRTA Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software

TrueRTA Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software

WinSpeakerz - is a speaker/crossover design program for only $40 -

About WinSpeakerz: Loudspeaker Design software for Windows

WinSPeakerz has an existing Database of the TS-parameters of over 1500 drivers. Though I'm sure you can add more.

True Audio's Product Catalog

The Website also have free trial versions of the software you can download.

Steve/bluewizard
Old 21st July 2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

I would start with 'The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook' by Vance Dickason.

If you follow his suggestions you can get away without a lot of expense with tools and software for both design and testing.

I do not like Bass Box Pro and suggest not getting it.

I would also not use a library of T/S parameters from any program nor those published by the manufacture. You must measure them yourself on the drivers you intend to use.

Vance's book will show you how to do that with a minimum of tools.

Doing things this way will not only save you money, but you will learn the what and why of the process instead of simply pushing a button on a software program.
Old 22nd July 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Mr Jeff is offline Mr Jeff  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for helping me out. Sorry it took me so long to write back? I have been working a ton of hours its good thing these days. I will take my time looking these programs and books. Thanks Mr Jeff
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Room EQ Wizard is a free RTA program that is very good if you have a half decent microphone.

Also, for free design software I would suggest WinISD if you are making Sealed or Ported enclosures.

If you are going for transmission line enclosures then I would look at either MJK's MathCad worksheets or my design freeware (Leonard Audio - Coming Soon)
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
I would start with 'The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook' by Vance Dickason.

I do not like Bass Box Pro and suggest not getting it.
Could you explain what it is about Bass Box Pro that you don't like? For my benefit, if not for everyone's.

I'm curious what you think would be better for similar money?

One problem I have with Dickason's books, and every other book I've stumbled across, is that the minute I think I have finally found the key that I am looking for, a new parameter is thrown in that I have no knowledge of. Then I spend hours scouring the book trying to figure out what this parameter is.

With Software you don't need a degree in Physics or Math, though you hope that the people writing the software do have those degrees.

Quote:
I would also not use a library of T/S parameters from any program nor those published by the manufacture. You must measure them yourself on the drivers you intend to use.
The problem with Manufacturer's T/S Parameters is that they are typical. They are, in a sense, an average of all the drivers made. Ideally, you want the parameters on your specific driver, so you can tailor the results to that one driver. The Manufacturer's specs will get you very close though.

As to doing in yourself, that is certainly an option if you want to spend hours testing, measuring, and calculating as opposed to simply running software that will give you the parameters is a matter of seconds.

The Dayton DATS is specifically made for determining the T/S Parameters of bass drivers. It cost about US$100. Which holds higher value, $100 out of your pocket or hours of your time and a steep learning curve? There is no right answer, but it is something to think about.

I would say, as an education or for only one driver, testing and calculating the values yourself would be invaluable. However, if you are evaluating more than one driver, the right software would be an immense help, and give that the OP is trying to build very high-class high-quality speakers, money spend on designing and testing software is easily justifiable, and probably tax deductible.

One last thought, someone else mentioned REW (Room EQ Wizard), this FREE software that is very sophisticated, and while it will not design software, it has many, if not all, the features you need to test speakers once they are designed and built.

REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

There are a few 3 or 4 part videos on YouTube demonstrating Room EQ Wizard.

The Original Poster (OP) will need a Mixer, either 2 or 4 channel and either Analog or USB. I have no suggestions on this, though you will see some examples being used in the YouTube videos.

Then you will need a quality measurement microphone, which for your needs will not be all that expensive.

Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Microphone 248-625

Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone Allows For Accurate Acoustic Measurements At A Fraction Of The Price 390-801

Give the implied quality of cabinetry, and the implied quality of the final speakers, I think it is very much worthwhile to get some quality speaker design software, and some testing software to verify the final design.

I also suggest roughing the design up in MDF or similar just to verify that it works as intended, before it is cut and assembled into fine cabinetry.

If there is serious money involved in the final product, then there needs to be some money involved in the design process.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by BlueWizard; 23rd July 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

LSPCad

Untitled

Sound Easy

Bodzio Software

BoxSim

Downloads

Last edited by The golden mean; 23rd July 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!