Liberty Instruments LAUD version 1.16 runtime error

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

I installed Liberty Instruments LAUD 1.16 (really old software) on a Dell Optiplex GX1 Pentium III 450 mHz machine with 250MB of RAM and I am having runtime errors just like some of the gamers have when they try to run old DOS games on newer machines.

It has a fresh Windows 95 install that otherwise works great. I do not try to run LAUD in a DOS shell from Windows, I am only trying to run it from the DOS command prompt before Windows and during boot up.

It does not matter if I attempt to launch LAUD from the command prompt at boot up before Windows or whether I attempt to launch LAUD from a DOS shell within windows, I still get a "runtime error 200 at 0005:37F3" notice. However I am able to get LAUD to startup if I set the processor speed to "Compatible" in BIOS instead of the normal and much faster "450mHz" setting.

So my question is this... Is there some way to configure the LAUD software to run acceptably on this machine without having to slow it down so much (slows it down A LOT) by selecting "Compatible" instead of the more desirable "450mHz" setting in BIOS? If there is no way to reconfigure LAUD (bummer), is there some other software I would have to run to fix this issue?

Thank you...

Hello everybody,

I installed Liberty Instruments LAUD 1.16 (really old software) on a Dell Optiplex GX1 Pentium III 450 mHz machine with 250MB of RAM and I am having runtime errors just like some of the gamers have when they try to run old DOS games on newer machines.

It has a fresh Windows 95 install that otherwise works great. I do not try to run LAUD in a DOS shell from Windows, I am only trying to run it from the DOS command prompt before Windows and during boot up.

It does not matter if I attempt to launch LAUD from the command prompt at boot up before Windows or whether I attempt to launch LAUD from a DOS shell within windows, I still get a "runtime error 200 at 0005:37F3" notice. However I am able to get LAUD to startup if I set the processor speed to "Compatible" in BIOS instead of the normal and much faster "450mHz" setting.

So my question is this... Is there some way to configure the LAUD software to run acceptably on this machine without having to slow it down so much (slows it down A LOT) by selecting "Compatible" instead of the more desirable "450mHz" setting in BIOS? If there is no way to reconfigure LAUD (bummer), is there some other software I would have to run to fix this issue?

Thank you...
It sounds like you a verrrrrry old version. The runtime error may be due to the processor being "too fast"! You may have to apply a fix to the binary. This is probably not available from the Liberty Instruments web site.

This is my (vague) memory of it. I know I had to apply a fix to CALSOD for this reason. I have LAUD v3, never used earlier versions. Libinst may still sell you the updated version of LAUD.

Dave

Last edited:
It sounds like you a verrrrrry old version. The runtime error may be due to the processor being "too fast"! You may have to apply a fix to the binary. This is probably not available from the Liberty Instruments web site.

This is my (vague) memory of it. I know I had to apply a fix to CALSOD for this reason. I have LAUD v3, never used earlier versions. Libinst may still sell you the updated version of LAUD.

Dave

Thank you Dave.

Yes, my version is 1.16. I wish I had at least version 2. If I had version 2, I could upgrade to version 3 by downloading the "LAUD.LIZ" file from here: LAUD 3 latest .LIZ file

However, I cannot upgrade to version 3 with this down-loadable file from my version 1.16 because 1.16 has no LAUD.LIZ file to overwrite. The gamers use programs like Mo'Slo Mo'Slo basic Computer Slowdown Software to deal with problems like this. I wonder if this is what I will have to do?

I wonder if version 2 & 3 solved this runtime error problem? If anybody knows the answer to this, I would like to know. I would also like to know where I could get version 2 or 3.

Thank you very much...

Thank you Dave.

Yes, my version is 1.16. I wish I had at least version 2. If I had version 2, I could upgrade to version 3 by downloading the "LAUD.LIZ" file from here: LAUD 3 latest .LIZ file

However, I cannot upgrade to version 3 with this down-loadable file from my version 1.16 because 1.16 has no LAUD.LIZ file to overwrite. The gamers use programs like Mo'Slo Mo'Slo basic Computer Slowdown Software to deal with problems like this. I wonder if this is what I will have to do?

I wonder if version 2 & 3 solved this runtime error problem? If anybody knows the answer to this, I would like to know. I would also like to know where I could get version 2 or 3.

Thank you very much...
I know v3 works fine. I'm using it in a Win98 PC with a 2.4G P4. I first used it on a 400M Pentium when purchased. As I said, check with Liberty Instruments. You won't find it anywhere else unless you buy someone's used system on ebay. You also have to be sure that you have the correct sound card, which requires an ISA bus slot.

Dave

I know v3 works fine. I'm using it in a Win98 PC with a 2.4G P4. I first used it on a 400M Pentium when purchased. As I said, check with Liberty Instruments. You won't find it anywhere else unless you buy someone's used system on ebay. You also have to be sure that you have the correct sound card, which requires an ISA bus slot.

Dave

Thank you Dave.

I am waiting for a response from Liberty Instruments on this. I was usung an Echo DSP ISA slot sound card with 1.16 successfully on a slower computer before what I am trying to do now. I now have the same Echo DSP sound card installed on the later computer I am having the runtime error issue with.

Thanks....

Thank you Dave.

I am waiting for a response from Liberty Instruments on this. I was usung an Echo DSP ISA slot sound card with 1.16 successfully on a slower computer before what I am trying to do now. I now have the same Echo DSP sound card installed on the later computer I am having the runtime error issue with.

Thanks....
If you get the new version from Bill, you shouldn't have any trouble other than the usual issues of DOS software and jumper settings, interrupts, etc. :gnasher:

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.