Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HELP: TINA model of oscillator using 4093 not working. Desperate!!!

I'm trying to model a circuit that has a few 4093 NAND Schmitt triggers in it. I can't seem to figure out how to get the model working in TINA (Spice modeler from TI). I've seen the exact circuit modeled elsewhere on the web just fine, so I am really at my wits end here. I haven't modeled any logic circuits before now, so it could definitely be user error, but I am stumped.

PLEASE HELP!

Circuit and output are attached. It's right out of the datasheet! It should be a free running multivibrator but nothing is happening. I've included a timed switch so that pin 1 is pulled down to zero initially - that datasheet shows the transition low to high in case that was the source of the problem, but still nothing.

-Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: gif 4093 oscillator not working.GIF (23.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 17th June 2013, 09:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ahhhhrrggggh. OK, I figured it out. I was simulating the circuit using the condition "zero initial values", which seemed to me to be the case since the circuit is "off" prior to simulation. If I just changed this to "use initial conditions" the circuit simulates as expected. Oddly enough, I haven't actually included any initial conditions for the circuit! How great is that, huh.

Anyway, now that I have much less hair remaining on my head, this annoyance has been solved.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yep, that cap needs to get charged to get the oscillator going.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieus View Post
Yep, that cap needs to get charged to get the oscillator going.
No, the initial charge up wasn't the problem. No matter how long the sim time frame, there were no oscillations. As long as I used "zero initial values" it would not sim correctly. As soon as I switched to "use initial conditions" it worked as expected.

Hide this!Advertise here!