Snubber Calculator - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 04:12 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Errors corrected, I hope, so should be working OK now.

I'll try to sort out unit conversion for the entries but that might be a step too far for me. Watch this space.
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:59 AM   #12
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've got the conversion just about fixed. Will post ASAP.
I've put inductance in mH, frequency in KHz, diodes capacitance in pF, snubber caps in F.
Is that convenient?
Old 2nd April 2013, 04:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I've got the conversion just about fixed. Will post ASAP.
I've put inductance in mH, frequency in KHz, diodes capacitance in pF, snubber caps in F.
Is that convenient?
That's great. I tried last night with this but Libre Office Calc isn't playing ball. I had wanted to get the cells to take input in any units, perhaps with a drop down list of options, i.e. uF, nF or pF's etc, but no luck yet.

Bill_P PM'd me to let me know that he's been working on it as well so between us we should get a user friendly version sorted.

Thanks again to both of you.

Dean
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve5425 View Post
I had wanted to get the cells to take input in any units, perhaps with a drop down list of options, i.e. uF, nF or pF's etc, but no luck yet.
I didn't do anything near that fancy! See my version below. Please check it against yours to see if the numbers match. I think they all do.

Thanks again for you hard work and for making the layout and formulas easy to work with. This will be a handy tool.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SnubberCalc-edit1.zip (10.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I didn't do anything near that fancy! See my version below. Please check it against yours to see if the numbers match. I think they all do.

Thanks again for you hard work and for making the layout and formulas easy to work with. This will be a handy tool.
Hi Pano.

The figure stack up so the formulae must be OK. There is an issue with layout though. (see attached .png) My problem is that I don't have Excel so I'm opening it with Libre Office Calc which doesn't seem to like it. Probably just a conversion issue rather than something you've done. I'll rework the text boxes on my .ods version to see if it solves the problem.

I also have a few ideas about how to implement drop down lists so that entries can be made in any units but I need time to make that work! I think the overall concept is good so probably the best way forward is for me to concentrate on getting the .ods file working correctly and, once that's done, we could see how it converts to Excel as that will be the file most people would use.

Thanks for your contribution and I'll post the new .ods file as soon as I can.

Dean
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2013-04-03 14:54:19.png (109.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Cool. It does look like the test boxes and the column widths did not translate well.
Looking forward to what you do with the drop downs. That would be great.
Old 6th April 2013, 01:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

OK folks it's finished, I hope!

Not being a "Windows" user caused a few headaches but you should now having a working copy in your desired flavour. The only guaranteed way to get it as I designed it is to use Libre Office Calc (freeware) to open the .ods file.

Please don't beat me up if the formatting of the boxes isn't too tidy in Excel but be assured that all the calculations appear to be correct.

Here are the links;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/109520947/SnubberCalc.ods

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/109520947/SnubberCalc.xls

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/109520947/SnubberCalc.xlsx

I don't think the .xlsx and .xls files will be too different but as the conversion was done using Excel 2010 I figured I'd save both.

Let me know if there are any MAJOR bugs but I might not answer for a couple of weeks as my brain's aching!
Old 6th April 2013, 01:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks to Bill_P and Pano

Sorry guys, forgot to thank you for your assistance and feedback with this. Many thanks!!!

Dean
Old 6th April 2013, 02:48 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Nice work! I love the new layout. Looks like you spent a lot of time and effort on the new version.

I tried all 3 versions and they look the same in Open Office and Excel 2007.

In Excel, the power calc is way off. Not sure what's going on there.
In Open Office, I could not get the cells to calculate at all. Have you tried it?
Old 6th April 2013, 04:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice work! I love the new layout. Looks like you spent a lot of time and effort on the new version.

I tried all 3 versions and they look the same in Open Office and Excel 2007.

In Excel, the power calc is way off. Not sure what's going on there.
In Open Office, I could not get the cells to calculate at all. Have you tried it?
Glad you like it.

I've just opened the .xlsx file with Excel 2010 and the power calcs are OK. I've used the Hagerman values, 0.133mh, 130khz, 0.5 damping, 12.6 volts, 60hz AC and get his result of 12uW. Have you got the units set correctly from the drop down lists? (The .xls file works OK as well.)

I used Libre Office Calc, which was developed from Open Office, to develop this so I'm surprised the .ods file doesn't work correctly in OO. Is it the latest version of Open Office? The Excel files do not seem to like being opened with Calc, but I can still enter data and get correct results. I have opened the .ods file with Excel without any issues. (in fact the conversion to .xlsx and .xls was done by Excel 2010)

FYI, I tried to put this into Google Docs but the result was a mess and would mean a lot more work. I'll concentrate on getting these right first and then, if time permits, try to sort Google Docs version.

Hide this!Advertise here!