PCB design and layout software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can home make 48 15x15 cm boards, single face , for some $120 .
So each costs around $2.50 .... plus time, of course, around 3 hours total.

Designed in Autotrax 1.61(DOS based) and silkscreened.

Here's a batch of 36 7x14 cm ones, 100W Guitar Power Amps, already sprayed with flux/protective varnish:

730290981_db5721fe84_o.jpg

Here's a previous stage, being drilled in packs of 3 to save time:

731065782_f59e4c8a8b_o.jpg

Here's a later stage, being riveted to the aluminum L shaped heat spreaders:

731065714_180673b148_o.jpg

An outstanding free software suite is the gEDA. It have every thing you can dream about, all is free and unlimited, and it is becoming better and better.

For the shematic, gschem is as good than Cadence, and very easy to learn.

For the layout, pcb is a great software. Maybe not the easiest, but very powerfull. And it have a windows port.

An outstanding free software suite is the gEDA. It have every thing you can dream about, all is free and unlimited, and it is becoming better and better.

For the layout, pcb is a great software. Maybe not the easiest, but very powerfull. And it have a windows port.

Some of the free packages are quite limited.
I prefer something with more functions and lots of error checking.
One bad batch of pcb's could pay for a half decent PCBCAD package.

Because they are designing complex boards and need managed libraries and tools for production and purchasing. Anybody can use these packages, but for the first timer they are overwhelming and for DIYers generally more complex than necessary.

RS Components have Designspark and Farnell have Eagle, both free. Personally I use Sprint-Layout because it was vastly more quick and easy to get into than any other package.

PCB software

I too am a novice (only been soldering bits together for about 30 years) and I need to make relatively simple PCB's. I use Robot Room Copper Connection.

Its free download and free to use, with it you can produce single/double sided boards with silkscreen overlays. Easy to use for the beginer, like me !

RS Components have Designspark

Designspark is essentially EasyPC by NumberOne, albeit with a slightly different colour scheme and library and file formats and a few missing functions.

It has just enough obfuscation in the files as to be different to Easy PC ,much to the chagrin of paid up Easy PC users who cant benefit from the RS librarys.

But EasyPC is a well known and developed package that has been around since '87.

Rob

Designspark is essentially EasyPC by NumberOne, albeit with a slightly different colour scheme and library and file formats and a few missing functions.

It has just enough obfuscation in the files as to be different to Easy PC ,much to the chagrin of paid up Easy PC users who cant benefit from the RS librarys.

But EasyPC is a well known and developed package that has been around since '87.

Rob

I remember the very early EasyPC CAD software as I bought a copy.
It had a few bugs and quite a few missing vital functions so I sat down and wrote my own CAD software. It used the same key presses as EasyPC.
That's was in around 1990.
I am still writing that software ! the task is never ending as there is always another function you could use.
Good old Maplin sold quite a few copies for me until Windows 95 came in and my DOS software became redundant.

I remember the very early EasyPC CAD software as I bought a copy.
It had a few bugs and quite a few missing vital functions so I sat down and wrote my own CAD software. It used the same key presses as EasyPC.
That's was in around 1990.
I am still writing that software ! the task is never ending as there is always another function you could use.
Good old Maplin sold quite a few copies for me until Windows 95 came in and my DOS software became redundant.

Hey Nigel,

That's interesting. Did you update the software to work on Windows ?
Are you still selling it ?

Looks somewhat similar to KiCAD and I like KiCAD A lot.
Is gEDA better than KiCAD?

I have found once you get above a certain level of software for ECAD, they all operate pretty much the same, as schematic capture and PCB layout is the same whatever package you use.
As Nigel has stressed, DRC functions in the software are one of the main features to look for, autoplacement and autorouting functions are a complete waste of time.
The ability to manage part, symbol and footprint libraries is also a critical feature.

I have found once you get above a certain level of software for ECAD, they all operate pretty much the same, as schematic capture and PCB layout is the same whatever package you use.
The functionality is quite comparable but the methods of doing it are different. There's always a learning curve when you move from one to another.

As Nigel has stressed, DRC functions in the software are one of the main features to look for, autoplacement and autorouting functions are a complete waste of time.
DEFINITELY agree!

The ability to manage part, symbol and footprint libraries is also a critical feature.
In my experience, "library work" probably averages 25% of a project's man-hours, and it's not uncommon to be 50%.

Dale

Yes, with no software and experience you know what you w2ant to do, its just getting use to the interface and trying to find the tools, when I did a stint with Cadence Allegro it was 3 months before I felt comfortable with the tool. Even worse, the package I use is moving to Ribbon Menus, had a play with the beta version, not a happy bunny there is NO classic view button, so I will have a learning curve to navigate the software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.