New speaker impedance tool, SimpeS - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2013, 10:26 AM   #21
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
I would love to back into programming and have been doing so very slowly.
It seems that none of the programs that I have used so far takes advantage of the 24bit sound cards and that would be really something if they did.
Hi Jer, if you get to the point you really want to sink your teeth into something then the speakerworkshop code is waiting for someone to work on it Speaker Workshop | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

Tony.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:33 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I have recently downloaded Speaker work shop again to take another look at it.
I almost had it figured out last time I used it but I never built the interface at the time.
So, I have some reading to do.

The biggest issue I am having right now is inconsistencies using different resister values.

I been trying different sound cards as well in different modes aswell and I will have to re do all of those test in now that I think that I have found the source of the errors.

The question is why!!!?

I can use different values of reference resistors using VA and RLCMeter they both come up with basically the same values.
If not right on exactly, between the two programs.

Here is a screen shot of the curves from three tests using 100,220 and 1000 ohm values.
They are of the very same components on the very same machine using a Creative X-FI Ellite Pro sound card.

AT the end of the curve the errors are of the the sample rate must not have been set properly at 96Khz and the sweep was to be to 44Khz.
Monitoring the signal on my scope it ended at 23Khz.

The reason I did a screenshot instead of overlaying the curves is some how the program got corrupted and would not allow me to do so and lock up the machine.

This test was using a 2.2Ghz P4 dell and I didn't have these problems using a 933Mhz P3 on the earlier tests.
Just a few inconsistencies.

I switched machines because VA was to sluggish using the slower machine although it did work.
It is still sluggish on this one but workable.

I would be doing all of this on my new FX-6300 at 4.8Ghz but it is currently loaded with Win7 and none of my sound cards are compatible with Win7.

So, I am currently doing a clean re-install of everything on a different smaller drive so that it doesn't take so long to do when I switch to a different sound card and have to reload the OS again (since Creative can be a real PIA some times).

More on this later!!!!

jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100-220-1000.jpg (141.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 7th March 2013, 02:53 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I just did the retest of the above and the results are the same.
Also I had learned how to use the overlay system (sorta).

Here are a couple of overlayed screenshots and the data of my three test's for anyone who may be interested in taking a closer look at the data using the program.

The test are with100,220 and 1000 ohm reference resistors using a 26 turn winding (equivalent to a 6V winding) on a Antek AS-1206 transformer core with the magnetic and electrostatic shields removed.

Off hand it seems that the 1000 ohm resistor gives the closest results to VA and the RLCMeter programs that I have been using.
Although, I have yet to verify this as I just did this test.
It is the one with the highest peak as well, and, The rest follow suit with a lower peak for a lower reference resistor.

I will also try all of my other sound cards as well and see how much of a difference I find if any as I don't have to change anything but the resistors and plug them in and go, all else is Plug-N-Play.

I will report back on my results later.

enjoy!!

jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exported Graph.jpg (112.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Test Overlay 1a.jpg (103.1 KB, 133 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZIPPED SIMS.zip (36.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 7th March 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 7th March 2013, 03:47 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

There is a new version just released today !!!!!

http://www.acustika.org/

SimpeS | AcustikA

jer
Old 7th March 2013, 04:55 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi, I've downloaded the app two times, the first version, and the new one
I can't get it working at all in WIN7, there is just an icon in the task bar , but does nothing...
Someone experienced the same problem?
Cheers
J.
Old 7th March 2013, 06:47 PM   #26
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Gonna grab the new one. I sent them a list of all the bugs I had found yesterday as we were home for the storm that never came. Maybe some are already fixed.
Old 7th March 2013, 06:57 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quite a few changes. One is if you don't tell it new, you never get the graph and start does nothing.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:15 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Ger,

Nice to see highlighted the difference in load resistors In Speaker Work Shop as that is exactly what I am seeing with SimpeS. 200 seems to work well. I tested with both my USB Focusrite and my Firewire Profire 610 and the results were pretty close. I inquired of the precision of the balance in the cal function made a difference or the drive level. As this is for speaker building, close is good enough. I have not gone back into SoundEasy to see if the same thing happens there. I'll test LIMP later tonight.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:29 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Looks like they put in the T/S parameter part. I'll get to testing on that I hope. Did both the new noise and the step test and got reasonable results from both. WT-II showed slightly more swing in the phase around resonance, but the shape and crossovers were right on.

GUI is a little less straight forward. As it gets more complete, documentation will eventually be needed. No one wants to write about it, that's just not what software engineers want to do.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:35 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Just tested LIMP with 10 and 200 Ohm. Both measurements were very close. Shape was correct. It would seem to work correctly with both. values.

Hide this!Advertise here!