BSC Calculator - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 09:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Just a quick update... progress has been slow as I delve deeper and deeper into 3D graphics. Recently I have been given some fantastic help with 3D graphics to the point where I am now considering making the app load from a graphics file like Sketch Up.

Unfortunately I can't use .skp files as the file format is locked down, but I am looking at a industry standard .3ds file format, Sketch Up Pro allows conversion from .skp to .3ds so there might be some hope yet.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:02 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Been working on the graphics side of things (had a fair bit of help with some really decent source code). Now just working on some colour options, and trying to pick coordinates to evaluate. Anyway here's a progress picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Update.jpg (154.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 10th February 2013, 07:34 PM   #13
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Have to comment, I have not seen mention of Olson or Gedees papers here. AES had quite a few papers on edge diffraction. Step and diffraction are joined at the hip so to speak.

Edge is handy, but it assumes sharp edges. The choice of the pole zero seems to vary from expert to expert. How to model the delay and additional diffraction from rear edges would seem to get really complicated and the Edge models assume a perfectly linear phase from identical perfect drivers. Crack all that, and we will beat a path to your door; asking for free software of course.
Old 10th February 2013, 09:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Once I have the most basic of functions working, I will take suggestions on further improvements. I would rather create the basic program fist just to show the direction of where I am going.

And yes most importantly it will be free
Old 19th February 2013, 11:41 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The Passive Speaker Designer program in the link includes a BSC/diffraction calculator, and there is a Help file that describes the ray-tracing algorithm. If you can come up with a successful 3D "front-end", I'd be interesting in sharing the BSC number-crunching routines in exchange for a 3D program interface. I'm using VB.NET, and drawing shapes and keeping track of vertices is painful: I'd rather import the data from a decent 3D drawing tool.

In any event, the drawing tools that I've got in the PSD program may give you some more ideas to work with...enjoy.

Passive Speaker Designer (pre-release)
Old 19th February 2013, 11:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Neil, I am using VB 2012 so no probs with swapping code. What are your intentions for the app? I wasn't planning anything commercial I was just writing it to help out those that help me.
Old 20th February 2013, 03:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
...What are your intentions for the app?
I've got a "Lite" version of my speaker design tools that is free, and I might add the Baffle Module into that code that at some point. So the Baffle Module might be free, but I haven't decided.

The difficult challenge in these design tools isn't the individual modules such as a crossover designer or BSC calculator--it's getting all the tools to integrate properly. It's hard work to integrate lots of code, and it's difficult to continue working on such a large project without some financial support. So the larger program probably won't be free.

There is a companion program for designing active loudspeakers that will be sold along with hardware.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:29 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Ok a few things just went wacky in publishing it for the first time, so let me know if it doesn't run.

Have a look and if you think it contains code you could use, let me know and perhaps we can either swap source code or collaborate on something.

This is still only part way finished.

The 3ds object was quickly knocked up using SketchUp, but essentially any drawing app that uses .3ds should load.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Baffle Step Calculator (Pre Release).zip (232.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: zip H-Baffle.zip (1.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 20th February 2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 22nd February 2013, 01:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
Have a look and if you think it contains code you could use, let me know and perhaps we can either swap source code or collaborate on something.
I had played around with some 3D rotation code a long time ago and I know how to make a simple 3D wireframe object and determine the vertices. But what I need is the ability to render a loudspeaker box and to place drivers anywhere on the baffle and be able to determine the baffle edge points. I did that using 2D graphics, with a front and side view, and using the .NET graphics functions. However, what people are really interested in seeing is the ability to import a Sketch-up drawing or something like that and to calculate the baffle diffraction directly from that rendering. So I need to understand how a "object" such as a driver is kept track of in the file and how to calculate the distances from the objects to the edge of the baffle they are attached to.

The other problem I had was calculating the internal volume from the outside points and material thickness. It turns out that following a path inside of a another path at a fixed distance from the outside path isn't an easy math problem. I read about a number of algorithms that do it, but ended up with a fairly simple but elegant solution for my own code. So you can draw a shape with lots of vertices and specify a wood thickness and my code will calculate the location of the inner vertices and then calculate the volume. I know that a good 3D drawing tool will do this...that's another capability I would need.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:56 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well stay tuned over the coming months I plan to do most of that. There are still several obstacles I need to overcome before I get to that stage. First I need to be able to render multiple objects in the same image. In the sample I attached it's a single H baffle and it draws and calculates based that one object, but if I was to have two of them in the same file I need to view both objects as one object from a scaling perspective, otherwise it will base it scaling on the first object.

I had previously done this by refreshing the drawing twice (one to load, second to rescale) but it isn't an optimal way to do it. I am currently working on doing a full multi object rescale before any rendering is done.

Hide this!Advertise here!