software for measurement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just ordered, and recieved, a couple of new tools for my speaker projects. I have a Behringer ECM8000 high precision microphone and a Behringer X1222USB mixer. The mixer is a definite overkill but I have a work project that needs its capabilities anyway. It has phantom power to power the mic.

What I am needing is a recommendation for software to help set up and test speakers. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks!

MIke

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I also like holmimpulse. I've used REW for in room measurements (using the RTA) and it is very good for that. I've also used it for T/S measurements and it is great for that as well (gave me much better results on the latest speakers that I purchased than my previous choice speaker-workshop).

Tony.

My objective will be to validate/tweak crossover design and calibrate active crossover points
ARTA has a very robust RTA mode that comes in handy for this sort of thing. You should always be using more precise measurements (gated impulse, etc.) in the end (which ARTA is very good for), but the RTA is great for tweaking things live, getting rough ideas of polar response, etc.

Thanks for the info.

Is there a consensus for measuring frequency response that one is better than the other? I have looked at both and they both "look" good.

My objective will be to validate/tweak crossover design and calibrate active crossover points
They both produce the same graphs. I prefer REW just because you can deal with more than three curves at once in the "Overlays" window, and turn them on and off to simply the display. This comes in handy for making comparisons, and pulling up older things you did to see if things are really improving. ;)

They both produce the same graphs. I prefer REW just because you can deal with more than three curves at once in the "Overlays" window, and turn them on and off to simply the display. This comes in handy for making comparisons, and pulling up older things you did to see if things are really improving. ;)
ARTA has unlimited overlays, or at least I've never managed to max them out.

Does either produce a test signal to input into the test subject, thereby a source to measure?
Most of the magic of these programs would not be possible if they didn't :).

trying to navigate through the software

there was a number of software items that came on a the drivers CD that came with the behringer mixer.

Anyone know what VST is and if it has any application for measuring audio?

Looks to me like a whole bunch of effects for using the mixer as wel, a mixer for recording audio tracks

trying to navigate through the software

there was a number of software items that came on a the drivers CD that came with the behringer mixer.

Anyone know what VST is and if it has any application for measuring audio?

Looks to me like a whole bunch of effects for using the mixer as wel, a mixer for recording audio tracks
VST is a standard for "plug ins," effectively modular software, used with audio recording software such as Audacity. They do things like EQ and reverb, stuff you probably won't use for measurement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.