opamp stability simulation in LTSpice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Preamp is offline Preamp  Germany
Islander
diyAudio Member

Default opamp stability simulation in LTSpice

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to do what the datasheet says I shouldn't: Use a TDA2030A as unity gain buffer. I did a simulation with no further compensation and the result seems to be a nice oscillator, as was expected. However, if I run the sim with the recommended snubber of 220nF and 1R on the output, I get a different result. If I understood it correctly, the phase margin is about 35 degrees, which should yield a stable operation. Not sure how 'fragile' this state is under actual conditions though. Does this look like it would start oscillating under certain conditions? Your opinions, please .

The datasheet of the L165, which is basically the same as the TDA2030A, shows another approach for a unity gain buffer. That one is certainly inverting and only useable with split supplies (or else I'd need a virtual ground), but gives a much higher phase margin.

The model I used is the standard UniversalOpamp2 with the following parameters:

SpiceModel: level.3b
Value2: Avol=10k GBW=2Meg Slew=8Meg
SpiceLine: ilimit=3.5 rail=0 Vos=2m phimargin=0
SpiceLine2: en=2u enk=0 in=100p ink=0 Rin=500k

Open loop gain and phase look like the plot in the datasheet of the L165, so I assume the model is about right for this purpose. TDA2030A datasheet contains no phase plot.

Regards,
Lasse
Attached Images
File Type: png TDA2030A-sim.png (19.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 17th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #2
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

stability is a big subject, sims without good models may not tell you enough

"noise gain" compensation can be used with these power op amps with a minimum stable gain spec
but buffering with another amp is likely a good idea - otherwise it may go unstable if the input is disconnected/not powered
Old 17th December 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Preamp is offline Preamp  Germany
Islander
diyAudio Member

Guess I'll use noise gain compensation, then. Same component count, much better looking simulation.
Thanks .

Hide this!Advertise here!