Eagle CAD wont print thermals - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2012, 07:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Eagle CAD wont print thermals

Hi there, I`ve been trying to print a design of mine for a prototype DIY project and i I just want to print the top. vias and pads layers, but I found out that whenever I try to Print a design that contains a groundplane made with the polygon command with the thermals option activated, the thermals or traces inside a pad won't print, I know I'm not being very explicit, but my english is not so good so
perhaps a couple of images will clarify everything for you. please help me.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th November 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe you have to select the ground plane also? I don't use Eagle so don't know for sure.
Old 9th November 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Art M is online now Art M  United States
diyAudio Member

In your bottom image (When Top Pads And Vias is selected) I can clearly see the Thermal Spokes to the plane for the right side pad and the pad below it.
What is the problem ?
Old 9th November 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default is there any way to merge those designs

Well while the in fact the thermal spokes are connecting to the ground plane, i need to know if theres a way for the thermal pads and traces to pass through the via holes and still be visible, thus allowing me to solder more quickly and easily as this is for a homemade project. maybe this image from EAGLE's preview will clarify further.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

try getting its PDF output. Sometimes it doesn't completely show in preview, Just a suggestion, as it happened to me too with some other software.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't work

Thanks But, I've already tried to output to a PDF with no success, it doesn't matter how i print it,, i always get the same results, it's really bothering as it displays correctly on the preview screen but the output file or documents are wrong.
Old 10th November 2012, 04:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Output design as Gerber. Open Gerber files with Gerber viewer/ editor such as Pentalogix Viewmate. Edit layers to what ever you want. I don't think Eagle has the capabilities you need.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:53 AM   #8
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why do you want it printed that way, the second picture in post #1 is correct for a copper artwork with drill holes showing, the pads are connected to the planes with thermal spokes. That is the standard way Gerbers are output. If you want to use the annulus pads for centering your drills you would be better with a smaller inner circle, it is used in the same way as centre punching a hole, it will guide3 and centre your drill.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

thank you very much for your answers, I didnt know that was the dtandard way that eagle shows the output, in any case thanks for your replys, I will leave it as it is in the second picture thanks again
Old 12th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I was really hoping for other actual Solutions to OP's Specific question. I am just a Hack when it comes to board layout and appreciate learning layout technique. I hope that a Professional layout person can share their experience here. It is really useful to know how to place unusual Copper shapes into a design.

Hide this!Advertise here!