Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Transmission Line Modelling Software

Hi guys,

I know you all have tools that you use (and the creators of which are on this forum) and I certainly don't want to tread on peoples toes! But I have been creating a TL modelling application that I would appreciate any comments on.

So far it has all been theoretical and I have not had much chance to compare it to other models or real life enclosures, so a little bit of testing against known parameters would be useful.

Other than that, any suggestions/constructive criticism is always very welcome.

Kind regards,
Pete

leonardaudio.co.uk

P.S. This is very much in a Beta state, so be prepared for a lack of error checking...
Old 26th September 2012, 11:23 AM   #2
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeet View Post
Hi guys,

I know you all have tools that you use (and the creators of which are on this forum) and I certainly don't want to tread on peoples toes! But I have been creating a TL modelling application that I would appreciate any comments on.

So far it has all been theoretical and I have not had much chance to compare it to other models or real life enclosures, so a little bit of testing against known parameters would be useful.

Other than that, any suggestions/constructive criticism is always very welcome.

Kind regards,
Pete

leonardaudio.co.uk

P.S. This is very much in a Beta state, so be prepared for a lack of error checking...
Hi Pete,

Great work!
Looking good so far.., I've checked by comparing a few designs I've made earlier
Here are my opinions that would make this program a very good tool to be used in conjunction with HR,MJK..and so on:

Add a filter section(module) where you can set the lower and the higher pass-band boundaries:
That is by multiplying TF:s of Bw and LR HPF, LPF up at least to 4th order by using easy to enter S-parameter coefficients.

The effect of this module should be easy to turned on/off when comparing the inclusion of filters and when not.

b

PS: My Spell-checker doesn't work, again
Old 26th September 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post

Add a filter section(module) where you can set the lower and the higher pass-band boundaries:
That is by multiplying TF:s of Bw and LR HPF, LPF up at least to 4th order by using easy to enter S-parameter coefficients.

The effect of this module should be easy to turned on/off when comparing the inclusion of filters and when not.
That's actually one of the things i'd LOVE to be added into Hornresp It would be quite fabulous to see the effects of high/low-pass filters on the frequency response graphs, and the cone excursion plots. I guess i've been a bit "spoiled" by the user-friendliness of WinISD
Old 26th September 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

bjorno,

Thanks very much for your comments. I don't have any experience with filters myself, but I agree it would be a good inclusion. Filter equations can't be that hard, I'll have a look around..

How did you find the way that you input the enclosure geometry. I wasn't sure if it was very clear how you do it but hoping that it is quite easy to use...

Thanks,
Pete
Old 26th September 2012, 12:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you'd now make it work on MacOS too I would be an extremely happy bunny indeed!
Old 26th September 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Heres a thought.

As far as platforms go, windows is currently #1, however there are a massive wave of handheld devices on the way who run android.

It would be a huge remake but is it possible to get this to run on an android device? My phone here has a dual core 1.2ghz processor with 512 ram and full qwerty keyboard. Its more powerful than my last laptop!

perhaps when the kinks are worked out.

Gotta love more box building tools! Gratz!
Old 26th September 2012, 12:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etocynned View Post
Heres a thought.

As far as platforms go, windows is currently #1, however there are a massive wave of handheld devices on the way who run android.

It would be a huge remake but is it possible to get this to run on an android device? My phone here has a dual core 1.2ghz processor with 512 ram and full qwerty keyboard. Its more powerful than my last laptop!

perhaps when the kinks are worked out.

Gotta love more box building tools! Gratz!
I would love to remake it for android. i have just downloaded the software development kit but it will take a while for me to get my head around it.

I wont be doing anything for macs in the near future. Although i may remake it as a webapp, so everything could use it then...
Old 26th September 2012, 12:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeet View Post
I wont be doing anything for macs in the near future. Although i may remake it as a webapp, so everything could use it then...
That would work for me, thanks!

Just don't forget to post a link if and when you've done that!
Old 26th September 2012, 01:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Geometry input is straightforward. I'm guessing it's in meters?

Driver input... things I wanted to enter were greyed out.

The 'width' surprised me, I expected it to go the other way. Just what does the number mean?

Not sure what the API allows, but I'd like to see the tabs as separate windows. Yes, it's hard to focus on more than one window at once, but you get a peripheral sense of the size of the changes.

I'm curious, why can't you input '0' damping?

Anyway, nice work! I look forward to the next version.
Old 26th September 2012, 03:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments Keriwena. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriwena View Post
Geometry input is straightforward. I'm guessing it's in meters?
Yes, I should state the units really. I'll add that to my Todo list!

Quote:
Driver input... things I wanted to enter were greyed out.
Ah.. Yeah. i have been messing with this for a little bit now. i can't come up with an easy way of letting the user input what they want and calculating the rest. For now though it might be better to allow entry of Qts etc. and calculate Rms Mms, as that it more common.

Maybe a T/S calculator 'tool' would be a good addition.

Quote:
The 'width' surprised me, I expected it to go the other way. Just what does the number mean?
The geometry viewer shows you the 'front' of your enclosure. The width, i guess, actually refers to the depth and so as you decrease the depth the geometry viewers width increases. I should change this to be more intuitive and also add more views to the geometry viewer. Thanks.

Quote:
Not sure what the API allows, but I'd like to see the tabs as separate windows. Yes, it's hard to focus on more than one window at once, but you get a peripheral sense of the size of the changes.
Yes. it should be fairly straightforward to have the different tabs as different windows. I just thought it might get a bit much having so many different windows. Also, you would be left with nothing on the main window!
I'll have a play with different options.

Quote:
I'm curious, why can't you input '0' damping?
An oversight on my part. Error checking was checking all values that they weren't zero. Stuffing obviously can be zero though. I have now changed this and you can enter zero in the latest update.
You can install updates via the help menu. (Either clicking the update option, or if you have the latest version then you just open the about window)

Quote:
Anyway, nice work! I look forward to the next version.
Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!