Transmission Line Modelling Software

First update of 2013!

Having thought about this for a while I have come up with a way to allow the driver to be 'dragged' along the length of the transmission line. This allows for quick modelling of off-set drivers.

I have had to remove the Tapped Horn feature to allow this, but judging from the amount of people that were asking for off-set drivers to be made easier this is a welcome exchange of features!

I have somewhat rushed this out as I am going away and as such there is currently no way of telling how much the driver is offset (other than visually). I will update this a little in the next version.

Enjoy!

Leonard Audio - Coming Soon

Now you can simulate , just for example, an old fashioned BR box, those "Beranek style" with just a square hole as vent - and actually learn what a huge difference does make the driver / port position (relative to each other) on the front baffle. Optimizing for minimal stuffing is a breeze. Delightful.

Ah cool, I haven't really looked into moving BR ports. Will be interesting to look into it.

I must say, I'm really glad I've persisted with getting the driver to be able to move, it does make modelling stuff much easier :)

Heyya!
This time is to report an issue. I'm running this soft on Win7; well, the new super cool feature "driver position" is working nicely, but only if you use the mouse to drag it around. If you try to set a precise position, using the driver- position- edit- tab, it moves the unit, but your model doesn't changes , not even if you hit the "update model" tab. Why so?

Pete - thanks for putting together this elegant piece of software. As compared to designing in MathCAD, the quick feedback with various tweaks allows me to iterate much faster and learn more along the way.

I'm about to build a simple Sonotube TL, and have a quick practical question. This is my first foray into subwoofer building, so please excuse my novice perspective.

With regard to driver offset - does the cabinet on one side of the driver need to be completely isolated from the cabinet on the other side of the driver? Or should there be open air communication between the two partitions?

Intuitively, it seems like the latter is the right answer. If so, let's assume I'm using a 10" driver in a ~14" sonotube. Then, if I mount the driver to a board of MDF, should I just cut out some "windows" around the circumference of the driver (but still within the 14" sonotube diameter)?

Thanks,
Neil

Hi nszimm.

In the software, when you move the driver along the enclosure (offset) then you are doing it to suppress some of the resonances at higher harmonics. In this case the both sides of the driver should be open to each other.

I'm not quite sure what you mean regarding 'windows' around the circumference of the driver.

If you have a rectangular 'tube' then you could either put the driver in the end (no offset) or cut a hole in the side of the tube part of the way down to put the driver in. This would be an offset.

Edit: look at the imagine on page 3 here: http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Advanced_Models.pdf

Ah, yes that makes sense. So in my case (using a cylindrical sonotube) it will be very difficult to mount an offset driver. For the first pass, I'll probably just mount at the end (no offset) and use a low crossover point. It appears the software low-pass filter is 12db/octave. Is it possible to implement a 24db/octave?

The attached image is what people seem to do with sonotubes.

What you could do is have a box with two sonotubes coming out of it. One about 1/3rd length and the other 2/3rd length and then have the driver mounted onto the box.
attachment.php

Regarding the filters, they are currently 12dB/Octave as you say. You can't do 24dB yet but I will look at implementing that soon.

The attached image is what people seem to do with sonotubes.

What you could do is have a box with two sonotubes coming out of it. One about 1/3rd length and the other 2/3rd length and then have the driver mounted onto the box.
attachment.php

Regarding the filters, they are currently 12dB/Octave as you say. You can't do 24dB yet but I will look at implementing that soon.

When you see what I do with sonotubes you'll schmeet :D

Ah, yes that makes sense. So in my case (using a cylindrical sonotube) it will be very difficult to mount an offset driver. For the first pass, I'll probably just mount at the end (no offset) and use a low crossover point. It appears the software low-pass filter is 12db/octave. Is it possible to implement a 24db/octave?

If you divide the tube with a lengthwise partition mounting the driver on the end and independently adjusting where the two line lengths terminate solves this issue. Offset is then pretty much infinitely variable. If the space was subdivided into three and shifted the port can be placed next to the driver while maintaining offset for both driver and port. Cuts the length by two thirds which is easy to work with.