Transmission Line Modelling Software

Yikes, I've been popping in here and never noticed. How remiss of me.

Ah-hem!

:cop: Thread moved to appropriate area.

:D

Please put this thread back where it used to be, and for the love of (whatever you love) please don't move the Hornresp thread. This forum has way too many obscure little dark corners. I've never been in this section of the forum and you can see from the amount of views and responses to threads not many people come here.

Last edited:
re the stuffing model, I'll explain how it works later but I'm really struggling with that. It seems to be OK at low freq but not at high. I think I need to do it emperically.

Thanks for comments and suggestions guys, keep em coming!

It has been a while since I looked at MJK's work but I think he based his damping model on measurements that he made at different stuffing densities. The data is probably on his web site so that you could also use it as a sanity check if you can find it.

It has been a while since I looked at MJK's work but I think he based his damping model on measurements that he made at different stuffing densities. The data is probably on his web site so that you could also use it as a sanity check if you can find it.

I'd think that at least a linear frequency dependency would be a start with the slope as an input parameter.

In no particular order, a bunch of things that have crossed my mind while working with the program:

Occasionally I get a window with this error message when opening the program: 'Unhandled exception - Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created.' (I can PM you all the details if it would help.)

It would be handy if the 'total length' units matched the 'length' units.

Can the program remember measurement unit settings in the .tlp file?

I suspect only my seamstress uses "yards". :)

For the red lines in the geometry window, could you use a different colour for 'open'?

Is it possible to get a readout of the angle of the sides for aligning multiple elements? Once something is 'split' it's difficult to alter the cross section.

Speaking of 'split', while it's very helpful for applying different amounts of damping to various portions of the line, if there was another version that added an element "above" the '0' element, that would make placing the driver part-way down the line easier. I guess that would be a split that adds a branch.

Can the main window remember its position? And can a second copy use the same position instead of tiling? This would allow opening a file, playing with it, then opening a second copy of the program and loading the original file for comparison by switching windows with the task bar control. (I do this all the time with SPICE.)

Could you add 5's on the frequency scale?

Sent, and thanks.

Again, I urge everyone to share your opinions, comments, bugs and wishes. Programmers need feedback. We're always "too close to the painting", because we know what goes on inside. It always meets our expectations, but what's important is everyone else's expectations, because that's who we're writing it for.

So please, help Peter out. I think this program has great promise.

Thanks for the email, I'll look into.
Yes 16 x 16 is correct.

I have an update for Basic and Advanced geometry modes. I'll upload tomorrow as I need to go out now. I would appreciate your thoughts on whether it is worthwhile having this though and how it could be improved.

The issue with it at the moment is that when you go from Advanced to Basic, you will lose all of your branches.. Anyway, you'll see tomorrow...

Update has been uploaded.

It would be handy if the 'total length' units matched the 'length' units.
You can change the units of Total Length too. I could link them, but I don't think it's necessary...

Can the program remember measurement unit settings in the .tlp file?
Yes, and they now are :)

For the red lines in the geometry window, could you use a different colour for 'open'?
Open ports do not have the dotted lines at the end. This should enable you to distinguish them. Is that what you meant?

Is it possible to get a readout of the angle of the sides for aligning multiple elements? Once something is 'split' it's difficult to alter the cross section.
I'm working on this. Not completely sure how best to alter the areas of segments where you want to maintain the taper.

Speaking of 'split', while it's very helpful for applying different amounts of damping to various portions of the line, if there was another version that added an element "above" the '0' element, that would make placing the driver part-way down the line easier. I guess that would be a split that adds a branch.
The new 'Basic Mode' should enable you to easily do off-set drivers. Although its ideal yet, its a work in progress...

Can the main window remember its position?
Yes, it now does.

Could you add 5's on the frequency scale?
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Cheers,
Pete

Update has been uploaded.
Cool. Looks good at first glance.

You can change the units of Total Length too.
Duh! I missed that. You must have changed it when I wasn't looking. ;)

Open ports do not have the dotted lines at the end. This should enable you to distinguish them. Is that what you meant?
What I mean is, when you have a branch or do a split, there are red dotted lines where the two elements connect, but really, there's no baffle there. On the other hand, they're not open to the air (contributing to the 'terminus output' ), either. I was thinking if the lines were yellow (or something) it would indicate there was a path for the wave through the junction of the elements.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?
The horizontal frequency scale is marked by decades - .1, 1, 10, 100, 1000... - if you added '5's, that is, halfway markers, it would make it easier to count the lines and find, say, 60Hz.

Thanks for the other fixes and your attention to details. :up:

What I mean is, when you have a branch or do a split, there are red dotted lines where the two elements connect, but really, there's no baffle there. On the other hand, they're not open to the air (contributing to the 'terminus output' ), either. I was thinking if the lines were yellow (or something) it would indicate there was a path for the wave through the junction of the elements.
This is why I made them dotted lines rather than solid lines. Maybe if they were a light-grey or something they would be less 'obtrusive'.

The horizontal frequency scale is marked by decades - .1, 1, 10, 100, 1000... - if you added '5's, that is, halfway markers, it would make it easier to count the lines and find, say, 60Hz.
Ah I see. Yeah that should be possible. I'll have a look.

This is why I made them dotted lines rather than solid lines.
But both the closed end and the connected end are dotted lines. Solid lines would work.

(Start the program and branch the default. You can't tell which end of the branch is which. And the 'beginning' of '0', which was dotted before, is still dotted, so there's no indication that it now has a hole in it.)

Not, you know, that the graphic representation will ever be a perfect picture or this is any kind of a deal breaker. :)

To celebrate #200 posts I have just uploaded another update! ;)

Added a button to the enclosure window called 'Join'. If you select an element and click join it will look at its neighbouring elements and if they can be defined by a single element it will join them. This basically does the opposite of split.

Rejigged the enclosure window layout a bit. Let me know what you think.

Changed the way geometry is drawn:
Open ends have no line.
Closed ends have a solid line.
The 'join' between two elements is a dotted line.

Added '5s' to the frequency scale on all graphs.

Last edited: