Transmission Line Modelling Software - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 02:04 PM   #81
akvaro is offline akvaro  Spain
diyAudio Member

Schmeet, this program is awesome, thanks, im a noob in the transmission line speakers, and this program is more intuitive that hornresp.

The image is a comparative between a design i made with a custom excel in your software and hornresp.
Attached Images
File Type: png Comparativa.png (42.5 KB, 217 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:21 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Sorry, in the image the first graph is made with a valor of 16w in amplifier, but with the same input level the graphs are almost identical
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:16 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Another comparative image, this time just the terminus sound presure level.
Attached Images
File Type: png Comparativa2.png (37.0 KB, 205 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:35 PM   #84
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Owen,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like the software. I have done a update with regards to your comments. This can be installed by opening the about window (Help -> About). This will check for updates and you can click the Install button to install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
1. On startup the "Make a directory" box appears behind the splash screen and makes it look like the program has frozen. It wasn't until I clicked on the program's tab on the windows bar that the GUI for directory selection appeared.
Thanks, I have fixed this and it now appears once the main window has loaded.

Quote:
2. After entering a driver's parameters in the driver window, I clicked save and everything worked perfectly, but clicking in the white "Driver Library" box caused a recoverable crash.
Thanks. This was a bug where it tries to load a non-existent driver. Now fixed.

Quote:
3. Lvc is in Henries, which caught me out the first time through. After looking more closely, I notice that all your units are consistent, but this one might be best left in mH since every datasheet I've ever seem gives Lvc in this format. I had initially put in 1.35H and all the graphs were nonsense, it wasn't until closer inspection that I found my error and re-entered as 0.00135H
I'm still undecided on this. I know it is typical to quote inductance in mH but I am a warrior for SI units! I have added a warning so if you enter anything higher than 0.002mH it remind you that its in H, not mH.

Quote:
4. I'm still wondering what "Enclosure Width" does since it didn't appear to change anything on the graphs.
I need to do some work on this, but it does essentially do nothing. There is a window called Geometry Viewer. This gives you a 2D view of your enclosure, the width value is used here. I divide the area by the width in order to show you a 2D view.

I need to add some more stuff here to make it more intuitive and maybe some more views etc.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:23 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Hi, I like your program. I haven't had time to test it much yet but I've been telling lots of people about it.

Would it be possible to allow for a rear chamber? If so, front loaded horns could also be simulated.

It would also be neat if you could seal the tl terminus so you could simulate sealed boxes.

I realize that both these requests are outside the scope of a transmission line simulator, I'm just hoping this can evolve into a general 1/4 wave simulator.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:56 PM   #86
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
Hi, I like your program. I haven't had time to test it much yet but I've been telling lots of people about it.

Would it be possible to allow for a rear chamber? If so, front loaded horns could also be simulated.

It would also be neat if you could seal the tl terminus so you could simulate sealed boxes.

I realize that both these requests are outside the scope of a transmission line simulator, I'm just hoping this can evolve into a general 1/4 wave simulator.
I have no experience with horns. Do you mean a rear chamber as well as a 'front pipe'? I would have to done some research to understand the best way of doing this. I will certainly keep it in mind.

With regards to sealing the terminus. In the enclosure window you can select 'Closed End' and you can indeed model sealed boxes.

On that note. You can model vented (reflex) enclosures by having a box and then adding an element that is the size of the port.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:36 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeet View Post
I'm still undecided on this. I know it is typical to quote inductance in mH but I am a warrior for SI units!
Since this has come up again, I'll point out that every value conversion by the user is an opportunity for error. Especially when decimals and lots of zeroes are involved.

Myself, I'm a warrior for useability, though when I was programming back in the days of DEC PDP 11s, you'd have been hard pressed to get me to waste any processor time on the input. Or use a variable name with more than three letters. These days, things have changed, of course, and I have to tip my hat to the inputs in WinISD - being able to cycle through a choice of units (with conversion on-the-fly) is actually very useful.

The lack of standard units is annoying, but I think you'll make more friends by helping with the problem, rather than adding to it. (and that's my geezer lecture for today)
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:48 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you mean a rear chamber as well as a 'front pipe'?
Yes.

Front loaded horns also sometimes have a defined front chamber as well, but that's easily defined by one or more of the initial segments, so no need to worry about a front chamber.

Quote:
With regards to sealing the terminus. In the enclosure window you can select 'Closed End' and you can indeed model sealed boxes.
I didn't see that. Great!

Quote:
On that note. You can model vented (reflex) enclosures by having a box and then adding an element that is the size of the port.
I realize that. It would be nice if you could also choose the port location, same as you choose the driver location. Then you could model all manner of mltl.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:30 PM   #89
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I need to do some work on this, but it does essentially do nothing. There is a window called Geometry Viewer. This gives you a 2D view of your enclosure, the width value is used here. I divide the area by the width in order to show you a 2D view.
Hi schmeet,
What expansion/flare do you use? If you intend your software to design enclosures of constant width you'll want to use a parabolic expansion as opposed.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:57 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Hi

First impression is that input fields could be more userfriendly, liter instead of m3, cm instead of meters, cm2 instead of m3. Stuffing value etc.

I find it hard to actually see what I have entered for the Enclosure using several sections: Which Elements are to the Closed End, which Elements are to the Open End.

It would also be nice if the GeometryDisplay had measurements (cm) to ensure the Enclosure data had been entered correctly.

(I use simulation of stuffing distribution a lot.)

What I find very nice in "Easy Quarter-Wave" is the near real time result of the changes, and how easy it is "to move the driver" up and down in the line.

When I have some more time, I will compare to MJK models.

Hi from
Bjorn

Hide this!Advertise here!