Transmission Line Modelling Software - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2012, 06:33 AM   #261
diyAudio Member

Yes, kudos, again!

Having given it a workout, I'll tender the following suggestions in the hopes that there might be some discussion. Again, the more input the better, as we all tend to work a bit differently.

Please, please move the 'Save' button back beside the 'New' button. Yes, my gaming mouse is twitchy and I drink too much coffee, but I really don't want to be reaching from the Geometry window to the main window to hit 'Run' and accidentally save over the file I'm modifying.

On that note, I wouldn't mind at all if the 'Update' button reappeared in the Geometry window.

Now, it's partly my personal workflow, as mostly I open existing designs to start a new one; I hardly ever start from scratch. But also, I'm leery of any buttons that don't provide a second chance, so I suggest replacing the 'New' and 'Save' buttons with 'Open' and 'Save As'. That way, there's little chance of losing work. (Of course, a handy 'Save' button is a good thing for those that follow proper practice and save often, but I have to admit the stability of recent Windows versions and their apps have caused that behaviour to fade.)

While I like the shading to represent the damping of each element would be cool if the actual value was displayed somewhere, especially when using "custom".

I'd like a way to remove the Infinite Baffle traces from things like the Displacement and Group Delay graphs.

Playing with bass reflex designs recently, a separate internal volume notice for each element would be helpful. At some point, I'd like to see the program make it possible to "internalise" elements. That is, a check box that would subtract the element's volume from the element it's connected to, and eliminate it's length from the total. That would be very helpful for getting BR and MLTL designs to calculate properly.

Note to self: I need to make a few of the buttons more consistent.

Thanks for all your work, Peter.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:15 PM   #262
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As always, thanks for the suggestions.

I am doing some updates now but wont release until later this week when I can finish a couple of things off.

I have moved the Save button. However, I'm not sure about having a Open/Save As instead of New/Save. In any case, clicking New should bring up a "Do you want to save changes" dialog box.

Regarding the stuffing. I have added bits to the element info section for Stuffing, Volume and Taper so that should take care of that.

Regarding the graphs, i suppose I could make the tick boxes for the different graphs take effect across all the different graphs. I'll see how easy that is.

I know what you mean about having an element 'subtracting' from another, but i'm not sure how that should be implemented (a reduction in area of the previous element?).

About the buttons. I'm thinking about adding buttons to the Display Window. i have already added a 'Run' button but it may be good to get Add/Delete/Insert/Copy/Paste/Branch etc.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:22 PM   #263
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriwena View Post
Playing with bass reflex designs recently, a separate internal volume notice for each element would be helpful. At some point, I'd like to see the program make it possible to "internalise" elements. That is, a check box that would subtract the element's volume from the element it's connected to, and eliminate it's length from the total. That would be very helpful for getting BR and MLTL designs to calculate properly.
While I do not have any complaints about the program GUI, I must agree with Keriwena quoted paragraph, and in a dream list, ignoring if it is possible or not, I'll like to see the functionalities needed to model some complicated things, like a Karlson coupler, for example.
This , and measured data import capabilities, as well as capacity to compute the impact on the frequency response from the baffle finite dimensions , baffle proportions, and driver position on it
... and a she audio engineer, wearing a short skirt, that hit the laptop keys for me, while sitting on my knees...

Last edited by Mosquito; 4th December 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:27 PM   #264
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
While I do not have any complaints about the program GUI, I must agree with Keriwena quoted paragraph, and in a dream list, ignoring if it is possible or not, I'll like to see the functionalities needed for model some complicated things, like a Karlson coupler, for example.
This , and measured data import capabilities, as well as capacity to compute the impact on the frequency response from the baffle finite dimensions , baffle proportions, and driver position on it
... and a she audio engineer, wearing a short skirt, that hit the laptop keys for me, while sitting on my knees...
+1

Old 4th December 2012, 04:31 PM   #265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
While I do not have any complaints about the program GUI, I must agree with Keriwena quoted paragraph, and in a dream list, ignoring if it is possible or not, I'll like to see the functionalities needed to model some complicated things, like a Karlson coupler, for example.
You don't want much then...
Old 5th December 2012, 01:20 AM   #266
diyAudio Member

Just a detail...
It seems that in the driver data entry window, parameter "mms" is signed wrongly as "mg" where it must be "g"
look for comparison side by side the data entry window of TLMS and the one from another highly regarded program , everything fits, except the mms value...
Attached Images
File Type: gif parameter window.gif (69.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 5th December 2012, 06:03 AM   #267
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just a detail...
It seems that in the driver data entry window, parameter "mms" is signed wrongly as "mg" where it must be "g"
look for comparison side by side the data entry window of TLMS and the one from another highly regarded program , everything fits, except the mms value...
Thanks, I'll look into this.

Pete
Old 5th December 2012, 09:05 AM   #268
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just a detail...
Ok, I have found the error here. Fortunately it was using the correct but just displaying the wrong units. I'll release as an update later this week with other changes I am making at the moment.

Thanks for letting me know.
Old 5th December 2012, 05:12 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

I've uploaded an update. The main changes are:

- Added an outline of the driver to the Geometry Display window.
- Fixed the Mms Unit bug.
- Added a Run button to the Geometry Display Window
- Added Taper/Stuffing/Volume data to the Element Info section of the Geometry Display Window
- Added collapse button to the element info part so you can quickly make the display window bigger...
- Added Insert option to Geometry Editor. (This will add a section after the selected element, rather than at the end of the line).
- Added Copy and Paste options to Geometry Editor. This allows you to copy any element and insert an element at any point with the same details. Be aware this will also copy any branches of that element. I can change whether it copies branches, but I thought it was quite cool that you could copy whole sections...
- The locations of all the windows are now remembered.

Teaser: I have figured out how to implement a front chamber so you can model Rear Loaded Horns with Front Chambers. You could also create band-pass boxes etc.

I have managed to program it in testing so that it works. I just need to create the GUI to input the enclosure to the front of the driver and then I'll release it. I'm not sure yet how is best to do this, so any suggestions are very welcome.

At the moment i am thinking that i have will have a box for the user to select between Front Enclosure and Rear Enclosure and then you model each one within the Geometry Display window. Could get confusing though....
Old 5th December 2012, 05:55 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

cool! so probably we now can model RJ type enclosures , where a little chamber is in front the driver cone, and emits to the room through a lemon shaped hole..

Hide this!Advertise here!