Transmission Line Modelling Software - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2012, 03:28 PM   #11
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriwena View Post
Geometry input is straightforward. I'm guessing it's in meters?

Driver input... things I wanted to enter were greyed out.

The 'width' surprised me, I expected it to go the other way. Just what does the number mean?

Not sure what the API allows, but I'd like to see the tabs as separate windows. Yes, it's hard to focus on more than one window at once, but you get a peripheral sense of the size of the changes.

I'm curious, why can't you input '0' damping?

Anyway, nice work! I look forward to the next version.
Agree with Keriwena, I tried to to input a zero for the damping but the program returned a 1 or 0.001 but this didn't change the graphs at all.

Schmeet:
Quote:
How did you find the way that you input the enclosure geometry
After more than 40 years of experience designing TL:s I have no problem to guestimate a plausible TL size for any driver without using any software.

When I first started using your program, I entered the correct TS directly into the Driver .Isd text file.

Prior to enter data into your program One need to know what to enter(Instructions of a work flow) and why(Explanations on how a TL is engineered). After pressing 'button' a note should show (confirming)that this action alters the design.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L-Test.JPG (712.2 KB, 663 views)
Old 26th September 2012, 04:20 PM   #12
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

bjorno,

Thanks for the comparison. A couple of things:

I think you may have entered the Start Area and End Area the wrong way round on my software. Start Area is the closed end and End Area is the open end.

Also, what is the length and areas of the HornResp enclosure that you posted the graphs from? I am not used to HornResps input parameters...

As per my previous post, you can now input zero for the stuffing. My stuffing equation is very empirical and so there aren't really any units. But.. 0 is no stuffing, 0.2 is moderate and 1 is alot! It should (and does on mine) make a lot of difference.
Old 26th September 2012, 04:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ah, scratch that. I see what happened. You missed a zero out of the End Area so it ended up bigger than the start area.

Try it with 0.0031m and zero stuffing and the graphs are almost identical to the HornResp ones. Phew! Thats a relief!
Old 26th September 2012, 04:56 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
If you'd now make it work on MacOS too I would be an extremely happy bunny indeed!
+1

dave
Old 26th September 2012, 05:06 PM   #15
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeet View Post
bjorno,

Thanks for the comparison. A couple of things:

I think you may have entered the Start Area and End Area the wrong way round on my software. Start Area is the closed end and End Area is the open end.

Also, what is the length and areas of the HornResp enclosure that you posted the graphs from? I am not used to HornResps input parameters...

As per my previous post, you can now input zero for the stuffing. My stuffing equation is very empirical and so there aren't really any units. But.. 0 is no stuffing, 0.2 is moderate and 1 is alot! It should (and does on mine) make a lot of difference.
The System length is 2.3 m; S1 area= Closed end and S4= the terminus. The driver is at an offset of 75.5 cm counted from S1.

You are right concerning the areas:By a mistake I entered the wrong value for the End area: I wrote 0.031 m^2 ,should be 0.0031m^2.

When entering the correct area the graphs became very congruent as should do.

Great Program!

IMO, Anyone who want to design a OD-TL (Offset Driver Transmission Line) can IMO with confidence use your program for achieving a good result.

b

PS: I will later (but not today) test the FR impact from the damping coefficients that can be entered. I think a comparison with MJK:s program would be very interesting.
Old 26th September 2012, 07:50 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Just updated to version 2.2 (which you can update to via the About window).

The only change is that I have added options to the settings menu enabling you to alter the axis of every graph (min, max values and log/linear scale)
Old 26th September 2012, 08:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
If you'd now make it work on MacOS too I would be an extremely happy bunny indeed!

+2

Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th September 2012, 08:30 PM   #18
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Old 27th September 2012, 01:48 PM   #19
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice work! Thanks for posting it.
Which model did you use for the calculations behind it, if you don't
mind my asking?

Driver parameters should be entered as:
Vas, Fs, Qms, Qes, Sd, Re, Le
and if I didn't forget any the rest can be calculated from them.
These are typically the minimum set provided by manufacturers.

It would be nice to have the total system internal volume calculated
on the Enclosure page.

I think it is nicely thought out and organized, the tabbed setup looks
fine to me but I could see where you might on occasion want more
than one open.

Last edited by PB2; 27th September 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 27th September 2012, 02:22 PM   #20
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

I coded around 1979 a simple TL simulator in FORTRAN that I ran on the college's DECsystem-10. It was very difficult to test and debug it and they complained about all the CPU time I was using for the complex math, LOL! I wanted to improve it over the years and thought about doing coupled sections exactly as you did it but never got around to it. Did you code this in VB.net? I'd assume you had a complex math library?

I am somewhat familiar with DEC computers (PDP-11, VAX) but never knew exactly what the DECsystem-10 was. I knew it was a timeshare system and I just found this info about it. It was getting close to the end of production - 1983 when we had it:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/pdp10.html

Last edited by PB2; 27th September 2012 at 02:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!