Linux speaker design software?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
None That I know of yet.
I think I did get HOLMImpule to run under WINE and I think REW5 as well(it has been a while).
But it didn't know where to find the audio drivers.

Audacity works and has a FFT function in it.
It may be possible to load a wave file sampled from audacity into HOLM OR REW5 for further analyzation.

I also tried WINISD as well ( If I remeber correctly) but any function that required the use of the sound card such as the signal generator did not work.
It is been quite some time since I have explored this and is one of the main reason I have to keep windows around.

I could never get WINE to work on my machine until i a new version of something either Mint or Ubuntu and was when I finally got Circuitmaker2000 to work under WINE and this was a big plus for me.

Then I tried nearly every thing I had and some worked and some didn't.
But again any that required the sound would sometimes have that function not working.
I didn't spend a lot of time on this so I am sorry that my details are a bit sketchy.
I will look more in to this again very soon.

jer :)

P.S. I Think I do remember getting REW5 to work with the sound function and I was quite relieved but I needed Holm to work as well.

Thanks for the links aczern !!! :cheers:

Last edited:

Both GSpeakers and Kfilter look to be dead projects. Neither have released an update in over eight years. For any open source project that's a sure sign of project death. Sad. Thank you for the other links though, they both look promising.

Thankfully, GSpeakers' website led me to two circuit simulators: http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/ and http://www.gnu.org/software/gnucap/

Last edited:
I've gotten QLoud and GSpeaker compiled and basically running on Kubuntu 12.10. There were a couple simple problems due to the age of the sources, but nothing too challenging. I've had issues with qloud, though, because it has a dependency on jack. Installing jack seems to immediately **** up my pulseaudio configuration which renders qloud less than useful.

I built Qloud quite a while ago when it was more timely but I swear I'd not be able to get it running w/ newish Qt, now--not a software person. The whole topic is a hard problem and I'm sure you'll find some trails from a couple other people in the past. If you are still young, I will cheer you on ;) I seemed to get older and just cave and use wine (except for gpspeakers).

In the spirit of things in case it helps anyone, these are my notes from getting gspeakers going a couple years ago:

1) fix bad depcomp link in local gspeakers dir

search for your depcomp path

~/gspeakers/gspeakers-0.11$ sudo find / -name "*depcomp*"
/usr/share/automake-1.10/depcomp
/home/custom/gspeakers/gspeakers-0.11/depcomp

~/gspeakers$ ln -sf /usr/share/automake-1.10/depcomp ./depcomp

2) add

#include <string.h>

near the rest of the #includes at the top of the files

speakereditor.cc
popupentry.cc
summedfreqrespplot.cc
freqrespeditor.cc
filterlinkframe.cc

FWIW.

@grindstone: Holy sh!t. Someone who actually knows and uses FOSS. I'm happy to have company. I took a look at gspeakers, and there is way too much gtk ui code in there for me. I hate UI coding generally, and have only really ever done anything with HTML and Qt. I get where you are with the willingness to just use WINE, but I've had nothing by problems getting wine to run on my system. I've got an old, Pentium 4 old, box that I can run off a flash install of Ubuntu 12.04 + wine and access via ssh if I am really desperate.

I just kinda makes me wonder why a clearly make-it-yourself crowd is willing to use closed source software.

I built Qloud quite a while ago when it was more timely but I swear I'd not be able to get it running w/ newish Qt, now--not a software person. The whole topic is a hard problem and I'm sure you'll find some trails from a couple other people in the past. If you are still young, I will cheer you on ;) I seemed to get older and just cave and use wine (except for gpspeakers).

In the spirit of things in case it helps anyone, these are my notes from getting gspeakers going a couple years ago:

1) fix bad depcomp link in local gspeakers dir

search for your depcomp path

~/gspeakers/gspeakers-0.11$ sudo find / -name "*depcomp*"
/usr/share/automake-1.10/depcomp
/home/custom/gspeakers/gspeakers-0.11/depcomp

~/gspeakers$ ln -sf /usr/share/automake-1.10/depcomp ./depcomp

2) add

#include <string.h>

near the rest of the #includes at the top of the files

speakereditor.cc
popupentry.cc
summedfreqrespplot.cc
freqrespeditor.cc
filterlinkframe.cc

FWIW.

It built just fine without modifications on Ubuntu 12.04 - just for reference qloud-0.31
But it looks to be a very minimal program. Many more robust ones can be loaded through wine.

Also, it looks like these instructions are able to get gspeakers to build http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1106660

Last edited:
I manged to get speakers going on Ubuntu 12.04. Here is the gist of it.

First I had to install some required libraries:
$ sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libgtkmm-2.4-dev

Note that I use the computer for development work. I have already installed a lot of development tools and librarie that are not part of the default install. Your mileage may vary.

Then I had to fix the broken link to depcomp, just like grindstone did. This is what I did:
$ rm depcomp
$ ln -s /usr/local/share/libtool/config/depcomp depcomp

After that it was just as the manual says:
$ ./configute
$ make
$ sudo make install

Now to see what can be done with it. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.