Help !! LTspice and W7 x64 Professional won't run.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have a new PC running W7 Professional x64 and I can't get LTspice to run properly.

The screen shots show what is happening. I have tried installing a couple of times (both on clean W7 images) with the same result.

I am only opening the LTspice examples in the default installation and it all seems to go wrong.

The PC is a new Dell Vostro laptop. What is odd is that I can take the W7 recovery disc (which is a Microsoft W7 SP1 disc) and install it on an old laptop and LTspice runs great under W7 on there.

I have turned user account control off before installing and to run it, all with no difference.

The windows message that appeared happened LTspice "stopped responding" but the new settings whatever they are made no difference.

I did google the error messages and although there is info about them nothing seems to apply here.

I have no idea where to even begin on this so if anyone has any ideas :)

Attachments

• LTSpice 1.PNG
    LTSpice 1.PNG
    164.3 KB · Views: 154
  • LTspice 2.PNG
    LTspice 2.PNG
    185.2 KB · Views: 157
  • LTspice 3.jpg
    LTspice 3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 151
  • LTspice 4.PNG
    LTspice 4.PNG
    163.3 KB · Views: 149
  • LTspice Error Message.jpg
    LTspice Error Message.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 145
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Update...

What are "Marching Waveforms" in LTspice ?

If I go to control panel and turn them "off" then it seems to work more as I am used to with just the schematic and simulation windows showing.

This setting isn't remembered however when the program is opened again.

Have a new PC running W7 Professional x64 and I can't get LTspice to run properly.

The screen shots show what is happening. I have tried installing a couple of times (both on clean W7 images) with the same result.

I am only opening the LTspice examples in the default installation and it all seems to go wrong.

The PC is a new Dell Vostro laptop. What is odd is that I can take the W7 recovery disc (which is a Microsoft W7 SP1 disc) and install it on an old laptop and LTspice runs great under W7 on there.

I have turned user account control off before installing and to run it, all with no difference.

The windows message that appeared happened LTspice "stopped responding" but the new settings whatever they are made no difference.

I did google the error messages and although there is info about them nothing seems to apply here.

I have no idea where to even begin on this so if anyone has any ideas :)

Is this a 64bit version of LT Spice?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think you having compatibility problems. Looks like incompatible data types.
Is there a 32 bit mode in w7 64?

There is of sorts (if you right click the LTspice icon) but it didn't make any difference to the way it runs.

Really appreciate all the input on this but I'm going to have to leave it for tonight.... keep the ideas coming though. I have an Acronis image of W7 so can reinstall and try anything you think of.

Attachments

• Compatability.jpg
    Compatability.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 77
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
On the off chance: Are you running it in compatibility mode? (Go to the start menu, programs and right click on the program then select properties and select compatibility). Windows 7 x64 has some compatibility issues which may be compounded by hardware support of the specific vendor.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
On the off chance: Are you running it in compatibility mode? (Go to the start menu, programs and right click on the program then select properties and select compatibility). Windows 7 x64 has some compatibility issues which may be compounded by hardware support of the specific vendor.

I think you may right in that it has to be some hardware issue/compatability problem.

The help file for LTspice says,
"If you can run Windows, you can run LTspice IV. We have spent a great deal of effort in minimizing the memory requirement of this program. There are no memory leaks. But waveform data requires memory and that is where people run into trouble. An x64 OS will be the best choice in this regard."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.