Help !! LTspice and W7 x64 Professional won't run.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you install to Program Files(x86), you have to run LTSpice as administrator to run sync etc.

I've tried all that I'm afraid.

It just does not run correctly on the Dell and I don't really know where to start looking. Turning off "marching waves" does enable it to run OK but I shouldn't have to do that and certainly not on each run.

The identical OS on the Acer (from the same W7 disc) and LT spice is fine. I don't understand where the differences will be as no "hardware" or drivers are involved.

I'll set up a Yahoo ID I think and have a look what the users group is all about.

I'll update this thread as (or if... don't say that lol) and when I find anything out.

Have a new PC running W7 Professional x64 and I can't get LTspice to run properly.

The screen shots show what is happening. I have tried installing a couple of times (both on clean W7 images) with the same result.

I am only opening the LTspice examples in the default installation and it all seems to go wrong.

The PC is a new Dell Vostro laptop. What is odd is that I can take the W7 recovery disc (which is a Microsoft W7 SP1 disc) and install it on an old laptop and LTspice runs great under W7 on there.

I have turned user account control off before installing and to run it, all with no difference.

The windows message that appeared happened LTspice "stopped responding" but the new settings whatever they are made no difference.

I did google the error messages and although there is info about them nothing seems to apply here.

I have no idea where to even begin on this so if anyone has any ideas :)

Try this:

Goto the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\LTC' (or the folder where LTSpice is installed).

Right-click on the folder 'LTC' and open properties.

On the tab Security press Edit

On permissions (the edit dialog) press Add.

Now add your name to the list.

When returned in the Permissions dialog select 'Full Control' (with your name high-lighted in the list of names)

I'm pretty sure this will fix your/the problem.

Regards,
Frans.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Try this:

Goto the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\LTC' (or the folder where LTSpice is installed).

Right-click on the folder 'LTC' and open properties.

On the tab Security press Edit

On permissions (the edit dialog) press Add.

Now add your name to the list.

When returned in the Permissions dialog select 'Full Control' (with your name high-lighted in the list of names)

I'm pretty sure this will fix your/the problem.

Regards,
Frans.

What can I say :)

Thank you so much. That seems to have done the trick.

Have a new PC running W7 Professional x64 and I can't get LTspice to run properly.

The screen shots show what is happening. I have tried installing a couple of times (both on clean W7 images) with the same result.

I am only opening the LTspice examples in the default installation and it all seems to go wrong.

The PC is a new Dell Vostro laptop. What is odd is that I can take the W7 recovery disc (which is a Microsoft W7 SP1 disc) and install it on an old laptop and LTspice runs great under W7 on there.

I have turned user account control off before installing and to run it, all with no difference.

The windows message that appeared happened LTspice "stopped responding" but the new settings whatever they are made no difference.

I did google the error messages and although there is info about them nothing seems to apply here.

I have no idea where to even begin on this so if anyone has any ideas :)

Hi Mooly
try ti run ltspice as administrator mode (rightclick and choose run as administrator)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi padamiecki,
Thanks but I had already tried that and nothing along those lines seemed to work. It crashed out in one form or another everytime.

FdW's solution certainly seems to have been the answer though.

Edit... it's Pickit 2 and MPLAB next. Thank goodness for Acronis when playing around with stuff like this.

There is of sorts (if you right click the LTspice icon) but it didn't make any difference to the way it runs.

Really appreciate all the input on this but I'm going to have to leave it for tonight.... keep the ideas coming though. I have an Acronis image of W7 so can reinstall and try anything you think of.

have you try to change the compability of scad3.exe? not the shortcut icon on your desktop.
go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LTC\LTs...\scad3.exe"
;)

and try to uninstall your current ltspice and install again in other drive (non-system drive), like D:\ or E:\ or F:\

Last edited:
What can I say :)

Thank you so much. That seems to have done the trick.

The error message (in the first post) says it all, the application is trying to write to the 'Program Files'-folder. This is not allowed by the operating system (to many bad people writing malicious programs in the world). My fix gives you (and you alone) the power to write to this one specific folder (and this folder alone).

If there are more people using this computer (and they use different logon's) then you need to repeat the procedure for the other users.

It is time LT fixed this (it is not very difficult, the operating system creates the roaming folders, just use them).

Regards,
Frans.

P.s. This solution works for many older (not so well behaved) programs.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
At a first quick glance the results look good. It's good to see different ideas on circuit design.

Have you built and listened to it and perhaps tested with reactive loading although with no overall feddback I can't see any major problems there ?

Interesting :)

No I did not build it, currently I am involved in another amplifier project, and that will consume most of my spare time. And then I do not have very much spare time (working 70 (and more) hours per week). This circuit has to go on the back-burner for some time. I cannot see where it will go wrong, it would be nice if someone did build it (it needs a complicated power supply).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
No I did not build it, currently I am involved in another amplifier project, and that will consume most of my spare time. And then I do not have very much spare time (working 70 (and more) hours per week). This circuit has to go on the back-burner for some time. I cannot see where it will go wrong, it would be nice if someone did build it (it needs a complicated power supply).

This is the true nature of the problem... designing them is the easy bit [:)]
Carrying the design forward to a worked example, well that is something else altogether.

Not enough hours in the day !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.