Exploring Visual Analyser (VA) - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2012, 05:25 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Does seem odd, doesn't it. Calibration was always necessary when using the "null out the fundamental" approach, like my hardware N&D set does. But I can't see why it would be necessary when using the "measure all the harmonics and do the maths" approach which is what Alfredo uses. Oh well, I guess it will all become clear one day!

I was impressed when I set up some mild distortion (diode across the oscillator output), measured it on my hardware machine and got 0.6%, then to try it on VA and got 0.597%. I'll see if I can repeat it before getting too excited!

Thanks for delving into the A cross B question. Again it will probably make an awful lot of sense when it's explained to us!

Thanks MelB. I am working on the next episode, the very important one of calibration. What's confusing me a bit at the moment is that I can seem to calibrate it fine on my testbench machine running XP, but not on my office/Lab machine running Windows 7. It's possible of course that Alfredo hasn't yet dealt with this function under the newer operating system. Or I might just be being particularly obtuse. Anyway, I'll play with it a bit more and then publish the temporary findings. If anyone has managed to calibrate a Windows 7 machine, and have the calibrations stick after closing and relaunching the program, do let me know. That will mean it is possible, and I just have to work harder!

Terry
Old 29th May 2012, 05:38 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Be sure the program is living in a directory where it has permission to write. That would not be the program files directory! Try putting it just about anywhere else and making sure the startup icon is set for start in the same directory. See if it's writing its ini file ok.
Old 29th May 2012, 07:35 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Yeah, all that seems OK. I've just found that VA2011 calibrates fine on the Win7 machine, so I think it must be a bug. Fortunately, it's the downstairs test-bench machine I'm more interested in having calibrated, so I'll leave the office/lab machine for now and come back to it later. I'll be interested to find out how others with a Win7 machine fare.

Terry
Old 29th May 2012, 07:37 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Now, I've wrapped up the Calibration article for the moment (pending resolution of the apparent Win7 bug).

Visual Analyser - Calibration

Terry
Old 29th May 2012, 03:51 PM   #55
MelB is offline MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK got it. To have the calibration stick in Windows 7 with the March 2012 Beta:
1. Download and install the 2011 with installer version.
2. Download the March 2012 Beta and unzip it into the C:\Program Files (x86)\SillanumSoft\VA2011 directory. (ie. overwrite the VA.exe file with the new version)
3. Bob's your uncle.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:57 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Robert may well be your mother's brother, but my VA2012 is still uncalibrated, even trying MelB's good thinking!

The odd thing is that it isn't entirely uncalibrated. When I close and relaunch after calibration, and feed it the same signal level I had just used to calibrate it, it still reads volts (and not %fs). So it's trying. But it insists the incoming voltage is 1V (plus or minus a bit), instead of what it really is. How weird is that?

I get the same result if I reload a calibration. No matter what level I had used to calibrate with, VA now claims it's 1volt.

But this might be instructive: The Level of Known Input signal defaults to 1.0. On one channel I made it the value I had calibrated to previously, and then reloaded the calibration. On that channel, it now measured properly, on the other it claimed the incoming voltage was 1. So it's responding to what's in those boxes, even though I hadn't pressed the measure buttons. I can only think it's a bug, but since we can't seem to get to Alfredo, I guess we'll have to live with it.

Terry
Old 30th May 2012, 12:27 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Terry, now when I restart I have the check marks in "Apply calibration Left channel and Apply calibration Right channel" and the readings are balls on accurate. The remainder of the calibration box is greyed out and yes it does put the 1.00 back in "Level of known input signal" but it is greyed out and can not be changed as the check marks are indicating it is calibrated. The entire calibration box is in fact greyed out and does not allow any input.
Are you saving your calibration settings in the "Calibration" folder?
Old 30th May 2012, 01:16 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Yep, I'm seeing the calibration panel is all greyed out, and I'm saving in the calibration folder. I've even tried uninstalling VA, deleting the Sillanium folder, reinstalling 2011, calibrating it, relaunching it (perfect results!), overwriting 2011 VA.exe with 2012 VA.exe, loading the 2011 calibration I'd just done, applying it, wrong results!

Are you running Win7?

Terry
Old 30th May 2012, 01:24 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Yup, Windows 7 64bit service pack 1.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:28 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Here is the calibration file it made (opened with notepad):
[Calibrate]
TypeUnits=1
Units=0
VoltL=1 (I assume a 1 here means a tick in the "Apply calibration" box)
VoltR=1
Rcal=40.6248062849045
Lcal=40.6612768769264
Lval=2412464.39033864
Rval=2411623.03804972
UCcalL=0
UCcalR=0
INBoard=5
LevelL=32767
LevelR=32767
Name=Line 7/8 (M-Audio Delta 1010)
dBCalL=1.00