Exploring Visual Analyser (VA) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2012, 11:27 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Conrad and Pano - I'm not sure how the topic of compensation curves came up, and I haven't got this far myself. But just to mention, on the Settings / Spectrum window, there are buttons marked Compensation and Custom Spectrum.

Compensation offers the standard A, B and C curves as well as the ability to invoke .cmp files.

Custom offers more capacity, including the ability to define musical presets, like flute and harpsichord. Now that has to interest a flute-maker and sometimes harpsichord-maker (like me), surely! Haven't a clue yet what it's about!

There is so much in this thing! Bravo Alfredo!

Terry
Old 27th May 2012, 11:41 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I did the pcbs for the VA hardware shown in one of these articles (2x16bit AD/DA with USB) and the ZRLC (with USB adaptor). Both build, but not tested.
I will make the Gerber files available here once I am happy. E
Old 27th May 2012, 11:42 PM   #33
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool!

Terry, I didn't see the flute and harpsichord, but did see that I can invoke my mic comp and A,B,or C weighting together.
The signal gen is cool, too. Nice to be able to add harmonics.
Old 27th May 2012, 11:46 PM   #34
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McGee View Post
Hi Dario. Thanks for your offer of help!

I'm not sure if there is an Italian manual.
(...)
If you could have a flick through these and see which ones have any practical information, we could concentrate on them in future.
Hi Terry,

you're welcome.

yesterday I've had a brief read of those docs but didn't find anything on A/B and B/A.

I'll check again tomorrow more in depth and try to find other docs.

Dario
Old 28th May 2012, 01:17 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymoose View Post
I did the pcbs for the VA hardware shown in one of these articles (2x16bit AD/DA with USB) and the ZRLC (with USB adaptor). Both build, but not tested.
I will make the Gerber files available here once I am happy. E
Good man yerself, mickeymoose! Hey, from one definite maybe, we're gathering some momentum here!

Gulp, can I keep up?

Terry
Old 28th May 2012, 01:28 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Cool!

Terry, I didn't see the flute and harpsichord, but did see that I can invoke my mic comp and A,B,or C weighting together.
The signal gen is cool, too. Nice to be able to add harmonics.
The flute and harpsichord were listed among others under Music Presets (tempered scale) in the Define Custom Spectrum window, available from the Spectrum tab of the Settings window. (How many layers does this onion go down?) As I say, I haven't yet investigated it.

Yeah, I think I quipped in an early article that we would spend quite some time there. We certainly will need to!

I think we're seeing that VA is not just a Scope and FFT (and all those other things I listed in the Intro article. It really opens some possibilities for people doing other forms of audio-frequency research. And possibly further, who knows. Conrad mentioned vibration. ECG? Foetal heart beat monitor for nervous mums-to-be?

Terry
Old 28th May 2012, 01:34 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Hi Terry,

you're welcome.

yesterday I've had a brief read of those docs but didn't find anything on A/B and B/A.

I'll check again tomorrow more in depth and try to find other docs.

Dario
Great, Dario, thanks. It wasn't so much the A/B and B/A that were causing us problems (I think), but the A cross B and B cross A. I interpreted them as meaning A times B, etc, and couldn't think of an application for them. But more alert contributors think it might be a cross-correlation feature. So do please keep a lookout for those!

Terry
Old 28th May 2012, 01:45 AM   #38
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McGee View Post
The flute and harpsichord were listed among others under Music Presets (tempered scale) in the Define Custom Spectrum window, available from the Spectrum tab of the Settings window.
We must have different version or I'm missing some parts. My define custom spectrum window has no musical presets.
Attached Images
File Type: png cust-spec.png (6.3 KB, 254 views)
Old 28th May 2012, 01:51 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, just thinking on mickeymoose's kind offer of sharing his pcb layout with others who might like to build the front end. It would be really good to be able to read the associated Nuova Elettronica article in English. I downloaded it from Alfredo's site, but found I couldn't even print it out, let alone copy it to submit the text for electronic translation. Anyone have any suggestions as to how we can break through the language barrier easily?

When I worked in community radio many years back, I decided on the purchase of an Italian-made transmitter. The station manager was surprised - what would Italians know about radio? (We tend to have a rather lop-sided view of Italians in Australia - we tend to hear more about food, fashion, Roman antiquities, fast cars and dodgy politics than the industrial side.) I quipped back, ever hear of Guglielmo Marconi? He was suitably chagrined.

Terry
Old 28th May 2012, 01:54 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Sure enough, those compensations are now standard in the newer versions. Still, I use some less common ones that aren't included so it's good to know how to do anything you want! I've found very little that VA can't do with a little thought.

Hide this!Advertise here!