Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2012, 12:29 PM   #121
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

well, that was my question, does VA max at 96?

--there is a forum associated with VA, perhaps someone (myself included) should click on the link and look at it...?

_-_-bear
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:41 PM   #122
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinsula View Post
There is a button on the bottom of the window where you can save the .wav, and burn it on CD or so.
Yes, I've done that and it works well. But I don't remember it letting you test and external sine wave, for example. So I don't think it could measure the tone out of the HP generator.
I'll have to check on that.

Does VA top out at 96 Khz? I dunno! Don't have anything that will record higher than that.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:44 PM   #123
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

In the devices control panel, VA shows the result of many differents fs tests/compatibility, and 192kHz is one of them. It prints "yes" or "no" at each fs and bit depht.
The test it seems to perform (you can press a "detect" knob) cannot be seen on my soundcard's control panel.
When RMAA does the test, you can see on the SC panel that it checks all fs.

Didn't find anything in the VA forum, neither english nor italian.
I'm able to read/write italian btw, but do not have the time to translate long text. Short questions I can answer though.
Old 4th July 2012, 08:12 PM   #124
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Good point, Zinsula. VA reports that my internal card stops at 96K, but other programs report it at 192K. It's supposed to be 192K on the output, at least.
Old 18th July 2012, 02:49 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Default Visual Analyzer Noise

In response to the noise problem Spacecake was having, attached is a screenshot of VA 2011 (not beta) running XP x32 with a low-end, unshielded soundcard. There is nothing plugged into the mic input.

I also tried the beta version which appears to run uover the .NET framework and have found it buggy. I also tried the lone, executable on Linux through Wine..also buggy as expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VA 2011 No Input.jpg (672.1 KB, 316 views)
Old 27th September 2012, 12:38 PM   #126
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Is anybody in here???

There hasn't been any discussion here for several weeks. I'm still very interested in VA as it presented so much potential. Has anyone continued along the path, and if not could you report what may have been the roadblocks?

Thanks to all.........
Old 27th September 2012, 01:04 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Visual Analyser - Oscilloscope

Doubtful it will ever die, but it's difficult to nail down because everyone uses different OSs, sound cards, and even versions of VA.
Old 28th November 2012, 04:39 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McGee View Post
Incidentally, sorry all I've gone quiet on the Exploring VA series - I've had to do some work! (It comes up from time to time, as much as I try to avoid it!) But keen to get back to it as soon as I can shrug off my responsibilities.
Terry
Thank you so much for the effort to date on documenting VA. I find your guides very easy to follow, and would very very much appreciate more! I know how much life and work get in the way of our hobbies. I'm hoping this is the case, and that we can look forward to more VA guides in the future (as time permits).

In the mean time, has anyone used VA to test audio amplifiers frequency response and THD? All the tools seem to be there, but I'm not sure how to get meaningful results.

Thanks!
Old 28th November 2012, 04:46 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

I used VA for many many hours in the last couple of months and overall it is a very good software that mainly suffers from "DIY" syndromes like the inconsistent menus. As for the THD measurement specifically it seems like it is no good. I used an HP distortion analyzer and got very different results. I don't recall the exact figures but around a few hundred % error. Otherwise it's OK.
Old 28th November 2012, 05:32 PM   #130
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Just want to add my note of encouragement. I hope both the development and the tutorials continue. It's an impressive program.

Hide this!Advertise here!