Passive to active conversion software - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
The link in Post #3.

Dave.

That's labelled "SPL" in the top right hand corner. It's not an electrical transfer function. It appears to be a plot of SPL output of the two driver units used against frequency, given a constant voltage electrical input. They won't let the OP do what he was wanting to.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

It's a SoundEasy plot of an electrical transfer function. The "SPL" is just labeling from that program since it uses the same plotting graph for all measurements, either acoustic or electrical. In the SoundEasy measuring suite the 90db line is referencing to zero db difference between reference and measurement channels on the soundcard input....ie, if you performed a loopback connection it would be a straight line at 90db on the graph.

It's also much too smooth to be a real, acoustic measurement.

If I understood the OP's original query correctly, I believe it's exactly what he's interested in.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:06 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
.....It's also much too smooth to be a real, acoustic measurement. .....

You're quite right about that, though I was thinking that it's much too smooth to be a real electrical measurement.

Hope I haven't been unnecessarily baffling the OP

(Covering my back now) "Properly labelled graphs would have been nice"
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yes, I think I've really f***ed up here. Worse than that I've managed to do it with such arrogance and aplomb that I've stopped anyone else from spotting it until now.

My sincere apologies samadhi, and thanks Davey for spotting it.
Old 22nd May 2012, 03:07 AM   #15
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

It's all good Simon, we humans do that from time to time
Here's the available before and after plot. I appears to agree with the transfer function (ignore the red line on the transfer function plot, the 0dB line appears to be 10dB higher).

Samadhi, I wouldn't normally settle for a crossover based on a single axis when more are available. There's a polar plot or two on the ZD5 page which Zaph appears to have given some consideration.

Based on the limited available information you will need to take your measurements at zero degrees for creating the transfer functions, then when you are finished, to listen to the speakers toed in to meet in front of your listening position.

Hide this!Advertise here!