Finite Element Method Magnetics (FEMM)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've played with it. It's a nice program but I don't think it can do what you suggest here. The problem is it can't do three dimensional layouts. You're limited to 2D layouts which are either infinitely deep, or rotated about an axis.

It's ideal for loudspeaker magnetic circuit design though, either long ribbons or traditional moving coil. Although not hinted at in the name, it can also model electrostatics, so may be useful for ESL analysis / design.

No, but then again I haven't looked.

IMHO, it should be possible and not too computationally intensive if one allows the simplification of only requiring a 2D layout which is arbitrarily shallow (rather than infinitely deep, as with FEMM). Full 3D modeling would likely be a CPU killer. OTOH, sometimes it's worth waiting half an hour for the results.

I wonder if there isn't suitable software used in other fields e.g. antenna design / modeling.

Would you use the info for EMC and signal integrity?
A lot of the top packages have addons that do this sort of thing or programs such as COSMOSworks. The simulations can take some time, and generaly only get used for very speed interfaces or GHz RF design, and even then not always, people still like to risk it using rules of thumb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.