Auto Design and Simulation Software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2012, 03:13 PM   #1
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Auto Design and Simulation Software

Hi all -

This may seem like a dumb question, but is there any software package that will auto-design and simulate a circuit. I've just started looking at LTSpice but I'm not exactly sure how it interacts with the user, or what the user has to initially provide.

I'm essentially looking for an auto-circuit design software package that has a level of AI built-in where all the user has to do is supply some basic functional answers; ie. type of circuit (say power amp), voltage, other operating parameters (say 100watts), class (A, B, AB, D, etc). Based on the initial responses by the user, the simulator will go off and do a basic circuit design automatically calling out all components, output devices, etc. The user can then go back and tweak the supporting components to affect different parameters for optimal performance. PCB layout of the circuit can come later, but that would be a nice to have.

Does software like this exist, or am I dreaming? If not, just tell me to go pound sand!
Old 15th March 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Your dreaming.

Its like telling a computer you want a 200hp front wheel drive sedan, and asking it to design the entire car. There are way to many variables: circuit topologies, different semiconductor devices, idle currents, local vs global feedback and how much etc, etc, etc.
Old 16th March 2012, 03:11 AM   #3
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

That's what I thought. I assumed there would be have to be more input questions provided by the user to better describe all the parameters needed for the AI simulation. I just didn't know how far some of the circuit design and simulation software goes today. HAL....could you....
Old 16th March 2012, 03:50 AM   #4
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

LTSpice and National.com's Webench will design power supplies for you, just as you describe.

Not sure about the newer LTspice. In the older versions, you could just select File--> Switch Selector Guide. It might be in separate software at linear.com, if it's not still in LTspice itself.

National's Webench web app even does thermal analysis of the result, and gives you a PCB layout and a BOM (bill of materials) with vendor and pricing for each component.

LTspice's was nice, because it was quick and easy, and because you could change component values and re-run the simulation.

Hide this!Advertise here!