ATB PC PRO or Dayton Omni Mic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the Woofer Tester from PE and will get the OmniMic soon, the ATB have some nice features like contact microphones to measure rellative panel resonances. As a mac user I have looked at FuzzMeasure 3 but then one need a calibrated mic and a mic amp with phantom power, and make sure that everything works together. The same applies to freeware like Holm Impulse. So I will go for the integrated hard&software. Have you looked at the german boards about ATB?

I have the Dayton EMM-6 mic but not the software.
I typically use Holms and many other freeware's.

The microphone seems to work very well and I have used it to check against many of my other microphones.
The Dayton has the flattest response of all of microphones I have, and I can now see and verify the differences of the dynamic ones that I have been using.

I am not to sure of it's calibration as well, when it comes to extreme accuracy typically on the low end but it is very flat all of the way through to the upper bands.

My large diagpram Peavey PVM 520TN seems to work better at the low end but I don't have a calibration curve for it.

But the results is very marginal between the two above 25hz to 30hz or so, and the Dayton does seem to possibly show better results down to 20hz.
The Peavey does have a slight hump at around the 3khz to 5khz region but is very flat otherwise.
The Dayton is very very flat when compared too it.
I usually use the calibration curves when I use it, and the times that I have not, the differences were marginal and are probably due to me being restricted too have to measure in a room for now.

Mine does have a few Bumps, But that is what the calibration data is for and for the rest of the band it is nearly ruler flat.

I will learn more about this now that it is nearly summer time here.

I had to get used to it having a much higher gain than what I have been used to and it took me awhile to realize this as it seemed that the noise floor was much higher than I had expected.
Since then I have corrected this and everything seems to be much better and where they should be.
I haven't used it much lately since this discovery so I haven't done any comparisons with my other microphones to verify the new differences.

I haven't done any recording with it yet as this will tell me more about the characteristic of this microphone as well.
I used to have some very nice AudioTechnica Condenser microphones at had cost nearly $400 a piece and those were ruler flat but sadly they are gone now.

But at least from using them for many years I know what to look for when I give the Dayton Microphone a real exercise.

But so far I am very impressed with it for what it cost.
And with a simple voice test I couldn't hardly tell if any sound was coming out the my little speakers!
It is a very clean and natural sounding microphone from what I have done so far.
So I rarely use it and keep it in its case at all times until I am ready to use it.

My Microphone number is 2439 if any one wants to go to the Parts Express site and have a look the data.

Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone Allows For Accurate Acoustic Measurements At A Fraction Of The Price 390-801

Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone - Test & Measurement

http://www.daytonaudio.com/EMM6_Lookup_Tool/EMM_Text/2439.txt

I see that they have a new version out now so my serial number won't work in the newest version search so use the link that I had posted.
You can type in other serial numbers as well to look at others curve data as well Just to get an idea of the variances.

:cheers:

jer :)

@Kjeldsen:
I've talked with Leo Kirchner about the microphone issue. He is still quite fond of his microphones and their series consistency. Yet he doesn't know what went wrong with the microphone in that review.
If you are in doubt and want to order the ATB Pro, he offers you to perform an individual microphone calibration for free.
PM me your email address and I will pass it on to Kirchner Elektronik, so he knows it's you once you order something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.