how to convert my itune files (alac 16bit) to 48khz or higher - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2012, 03:37 PM   #1
msj965 is offline msj965  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how to convert my itune files (alac 16bit) to 48khz or higher

hello
just wanna know how to convert all my itune files to higher smpling rate.maybe 48 or 96bit, that's good enough for me.i have pc and mac with a little bit knowledge on computer..... where to start?

thanks and more power.
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There's really no point to converting...the resolution of your file is limited to whatever the original source was and you won't get any benefit.
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
There's nothing to be gained from upsampling the files, they will be oversampled in your dac anyway, there is no possible benefit.
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

I won't comment on the value of software upsampling, but if you use a player for iTunes, like PureMusic for example, it can upsample they way you want it to I believe. I use PureMusic and it is a great player, but I try to play in native sampling and let the DAC upsample if i am using an upsampling DAC or not if I am using a NOS DAC. I doubt I could hear much difference and unless your computer has extra memory and a fast processor, which mine don't, you are better off taxing the playing computer less.
Old 15th February 2012, 01:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

At the risk of sounding like a jerk... There's and old saying that translates as <GIGO> which means "Garbage In Garbage Out." It's not a diss but means that if you have a "lower" quality audio file, there's really no way way to recapture the original quality because you're essentially stuck with what you were handed. This doesn't mean that you can't re-eq and otherwise "filter" the track...

Good luck,

A.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:26 AM   #6
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Pure Music. Is this a conspiracy to make me break down and buy a Mac? I have found no PC based music player I am happy with.

Oversampling does nothing but make the integrator job easier. But, are there any more advanced processing techniques that can do a better job of guessing with off-line processing?

I am about to start saving all my CD's with EAC and then convert to the flavor of the day. I don't want to do it twice as I have about a thousand to save.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What's wrong with FLAC as a storage format? I have about 14000 FLAC files and feel no need for anything else.

Also: JRiver and Foobar, among others, allow up-sampling. Depending on your output device it can make no difference or some difference.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
What's wrong with FLAC as a storage format? I have about 14000 FLAC files and feel no need for anything else.

Also: JRiver and Foobar, among others, allow up-sampling. Depending on your output device it can make no difference or some difference.
+1 on FLAC as the library file format of choice.

Hide this!Advertise here!