Google Sketchup library of drawings/components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3D Models: 3D ContentCentral for 3D Models (a lot of different formats).
Today a lot of manufacturers supplies 3D Models.
FreeCAD to import STEP/IGES and export to STL.
Blender to import STL and export to COLLADA.
SketchUP to import COLLADA and store as SKP.
Eagle with ULP to SketchUP: EAGLEUP.
Eagle with ULP IDF to SolidWorks/CircuitWorks: a lot of CAD tools exports IDF.

Don´t forget to check 3D Models origins!

P.S.: Ciiva Firefox Plugin to search for components, really nice!

Hello,

FreeCAD PCB allows direct Eagle BRD import. Starting evaluation and I´m very happy about results.
FreeCAD propose a lot of differents export formats, not only STL!
Playing with 3D-STEP component allocation (not really deeply explained in good documentation): same as for SolidWorks CircuitWorks, not really user friendly.
I need to translate manually my SolidWorks components (parts, assemblies) to STEP back again!

(Foto shows EL34 Amplifier Eagle BRD import)

More to come, if someone is interested.

JP

Foto!

Attachments

• Test_FreeCAD_Eagle_Import.png
    Test_FreeCAD_Eagle_Import.png
    224.9 KB · Views: 154
Hello Albert,
you've to map STEP models and they're simply not available!
Somr models at GRABCAD others at 3dcontentral: the common tubes principaly.
I've my own library using SolidWorks (sockets, tubes) and growing: my wife is working on the 833C model.
I've asking years ago the community for used tubes for 3D modelling and still waiting for an answer.
Would be nice to build a STEP 3D audio components library...
JP

Hello Albert,
you've to map STEP models and they're simply not available!
Somr models at GRABCAD others at 3dcontentral: the common tubes principaly.
I've my own library using SolidWorks (sockets, tubes) and growing: my wife is working on the 833C model.
I've asking years ago the community for used tubes for 3D modelling and still waiting for an answer.
Would be nice to build a STEP 3D audio components library...
JP

I am actually new to 3D modelling, I' ve seen Sketchup and they seem to have a nice 3D models for audio amplifier.
I was actually doing a build documentation for an SS amp, I realize it might be a better idea to just create a 3D model of the amp, showing between stages of the assembly process rather than taking a snapshots of the actual hardware which is time consuming and you need to edit the images to make it smaller in file size. Learning a new CADware could also be time consuming but the benefit is a new knowledge/skill is gained.
Having said that, will Sketchup to the job better than freeCAD. My concern is the availability of parts model, that is you don' t have to spend lots of time finding the correct parts and models. Does it have an available single library models for electronic projects.?
I have both CADware package, Sketchup2016 and freeCADv0.16, I have not installed them yet I wanted to know if they would be actually useful to my documentation works.

Sa muli,
Albert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.