A/V receiver automatic speaker config systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wasn't sure where to post this so here goes....

I've been into surround sound since the early 90s when Dolby Pro-Logic was the newest thing and dvd was still something in the hazy future. And since then and all the way through to the present the ubiqutous 80Hz crossover point, part of the THX set of operating parameters, is what is almost always recommended for all multichannel satellite+subwoofer systems, no matter how large or sonically capable the satellites are.

Here's the question: why is it so many people report their receiver's automatic speaker set-up system, variously known for example as M.C.A.C.C., YPAO and Audyssey, set the satellite xover points to just about every point except 80Hz? Plus, it's almost always below 80Hz.

I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-521 receiver which includes that brand's auto configuration system (MCACC) but I have yet to set it up. But when I finally do this (I'm in the process of moving), should I trust the receiver's decisions, the ones based on software designed by experienced audio engineers, or what I read on A/V forums?

FYI: my front channel speakers have a frequency response spec of 42Hz-20kHz +/-3dB and the rear channel speakers are rated down to 45Hz +/-3dB. Both speakers use one 8" per enclosure and are bass-reflex. My center is a 2-way bookshelf with a 6.5" woofer, bass-reflex, rated down to 55Hz +/-3dB.

Bonus question :): when a movie soundtrack is mixed, based on what I've read there doesn't seem to be any form of bass management used during that process. Is that because the engineer knows each user's playback system is different and it is best to allow the user's system to perform b.m. duties (in particular: having two sets of b.m. settings, in other words the studio's xovers and cutoff slopes and the user's system slopes and xover points, could clash & cause unpleasant audio artifacts); OR is the engineer leaving out b.m. because that is actually the best way to listen to a multichannel recording and it is sent out in that form for the people that own systems with satellites capable of handling full range signals and the people that own less capable systems can still enjoy a very good surround soundfield by activating their systems b.m. system?

i think it all comes down to wave length and how they interact with the environment there in hence the thq stuff has speaker positioning aswell as frequency management and if the amplifier for the sub end is efficient enough to drive th speaker intended to provide the sub use a sweeping tone to run through all speakers and use your ear to find out where distortion and phase issues are. built my own system an use thq module to set my preamp up. remember the manufacturer doesnt know what you have in your listening space to rebound the sound and all materials that exist have varying harmonic resonance and dampening properties. plus if you send alot of low end and a lot of mid range through the same cone they will fight each other for dominance and you will be left with a muddy noise
all subs should be central - or at least firing centrally- and the surround effect will use the mid range and treble to dupe you into thinking the object is behind you. sub generally embodies the entire space due to the actual wavelenghs reagrdless of where you send it from. it is much better to keep frequency below 100Hz away from satalites they dont generaly have enough space on the cone to generate a clean low frequency wave.

trust you ears not a remote tech

" Bonus question : when a movie soundtrack is mixed, based on what I've read there doesn't seem to be any form of bass management used during that process. Is that because the engineer knows each user's playback system is different and it is best to allow the user's system to perform b.m. duties (in particular: having two sets of b.m. settings, in other words the studio's xovers and cutoff slopes and the user's system slopes and xover points, could clash & cause unpleasant audio artifacts); OR is the engineer leaving out b.m. because that is actually the best way to listen to a multichannel recording and it is sent out in that form for the people that own systems with satellites capable of handling full range signals and the people that own less capable systems can still enjoy a very good surround soundfield by activating their systems b.m. system? "

it comes down to the personal setup imho the best way to handle bass is with a dedicated amplifier and specifically constructed woofer *i have fallen out with low pass crossovers alot of power gets lost in the circuitry which makes it harder to get a clean balanced sound*

and bass management varies for every system e.g a 5.1 system with 4 sats rated 30w rms 60 peak on one amp 80w rms powered centre and 200w rms sub with dedicated Amp how can the production company adjust the bass frequency to not mud out everything else.

the thx console that comes with creative beta software for the pc allows complete frequency isolation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.