Audio Analyzer for iOS and Android

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would be nice to start a diyAudio project "by fanatics, for fanatics" consisting on a two-channel Audio Analyzer running on iOS 3.0 (Apple) and on Android 2.2 (Google). Modalities : stereo (A and B) and relative (A divided by B). Bode plot (amplitude and phase). Delay estimator and compensator with manual adjust. All calculations using the 64-bit double precision IEEE754 format.
Currently, I dont know how to input high quality stereo digital audio into a smartphone. Maybe using the USB port, as Host, attaching a USB sound card designed for Windows ? Maybe using a dedicated diyAudio Bluetooth or WiFi adaptor ?
Possibly adding a software white noise / pink noise generator. Possibly adding two programmable sinus generators.
Any idea ?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
IMHO, forget about iOS, too proprietary. And likely not enough people who really like to tinker.

Look at the Android App FuncGen, it's written by a fellow diyaudio member. That should have the signal generator covered.
For Android 2.2 I think there may be problems with the USB-host thing, so mostly off-site hardware would probably be best. There are apps like RTA Pro which use the internal mic and offer options to calibrate it with a known-good source, but I don't think that's ideal since it likely doesn't take the mic's directivity and different SPL response into account.
So an off-site mic with preamp and A/D converter somehow streaming the data to the phone maybe? Interfaces could be WiFi, Bluetooth (Processing maybe? Android + Processing + Bluetooth | C.I.r.E.) or even Ethernet connected to a router, which brings the Arduino with an Ethernet shield into play. There supposedly is a new ARM chip out with integrated Ethernet capability.

That's all that immediately comes to mind.

I doubt even a JBed iDevice could do this. However DrBoar, I don't think it has anything to do with the store. There are plenty of hardware add ons to convert an iphone into a handheld game device that are supported. It's not a matter of whether Apple or Google or Microsoft allows it, but rather whether the hardware can do it, and if you aren't jailbroken or rooted, whether the SDK exposes it (I'm sure that it doesn't for iOS, probably not for Android either without a custom ROM.)

But what does Windows 8 have to do with this? They've shown it has a desktop mode still, and all your old apps run on it...so you could still tentatively get a Win8 desktop or tablet that had the right hook ups and write an application to do what you wanted. Heck, whatever solutions currently exist for Windows will continue to work. Linux phones - you mean Android, yes?

If you want to do this so that it'll work with tablets (which would be a good choice given they're portable) take a look at the Windows 8 release. Might be able to make a touch friendly app?

I have a couple of Flowstone applications in stock, developed on a WinXP SP3 computer, that I could eventually test on a Windows 8 tablet.

Regarding Android, currently, there is the "Heat Synthesizer" application on Android, seeming promising. I'm also curious about Android 4.4 KitKat that's maybe due this month: what's the recommended audio subsystem architecture, is USB-audio working with multichannel USB sound cards like Maya44 (4 line-in, 4 line-out), Terratec Aureon 7.1 USB, or Creative Labs USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1?

About iOS, I don't know what's the latest status. Any new advice ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.