Very basic Zener Diode/LTSpice simulation question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2011, 10:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to eranrund
Default Very basic Zener Diode/LTSpice simulation question

Hello.

I have set a very simple circuit in LTSpice: Voltage source of 12v connected to a resistor which is then connected to a 8.2v Zener diode.
When measuring the voltage between the resistor and the Zener I notice two things I cannot explain:
1) The measured voltage is around 8.7v (i was expecting 8.2)
2) From 0ms to ~1.5ms I see the voltage slightly dropping. Why is that?

Attached is a screenshot.

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png zener.png (54.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranrund View Post
Hello.

I have set a very simple circuit in LTSpice: Voltage source of 12v connected to a resistor which is then connected to a 8.2v Zener diode.
When measuring the voltage between the resistor and the Zener I notice two things I cannot explain:
1) The measured voltage is around 8.7v (i was expecting 8.2)
2) From 0ms to ~1.5ms I see the voltage slightly dropping. Why is that?

Attached is a screenshot.

Many thanks
Hi,

The nominal zener voltage of 8.2V is specified with a specific zener current, often 10mA, which should also be in the data sheet.
Your circuit has much larger zener current and that, with the non-zero differential zener impedance, gives a higher zener voltage.

Can't explain the 40uV (!) initial drop - possibly some numerical initialisation in LTspice?

jan didden
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I have changed the resistor value to 730ohm in order to have a current of 5.03ma and not fry the Zener and now I measure 8.32v.
The datasheet specifies a minimal value of 7.7v and a maximal value of 8.7v, nominal being 8.2v for 5ma current.

How does the Zener's model come up with 8.32 instead of, for example, any other close value?
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranrund View Post
Hello,

I have changed the resistor value to 730ohm in order to have a current of 5.03ma and not fry the Zener and now I measure 8.32v.
The datasheet specifies a minimal value of 7.7v and a maximal value of 8.7v, nominal being 8.2v for 5ma current.

How does the Zener's model come up with 8.32 instead of, for example, any other close value?
I would check the model text; you'll probably find a small series R.
Possibly there is also a current dependent voltage source.

jan
Old 24th September 2011, 02:05 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Does the model include temperature?
Old 24th September 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
bill_a is offline bill_a  United States
diyAudio Member

Its hard to read your screen capture, but I just duplicated your description, with a 720 Ohm resistor and it works fine. Zener voltage of 8.269 @ 2.4mA. That's about the best you can hope for with a Zener - they're just not that good a regulator.

The 'droop' you see is due to the junction capacitance charging up - you'd see something similar in real life if you could set up a good enough experiment. If it bugs you, change your simulation time to say 1mS - you hardly notice it at all....

Bill
Old 24th September 2011, 02:39 PM   #7
sbrads is offline sbrads  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_a View Post
Its hard to read your screen capture, but I just duplicated your description, with a 720 Ohm resistor and it works fine. Zener voltage of 8.269 @ 2.4mA. That's about the best you can hope for with a Zener - they're just not that good a regulator.

The 'droop' you see is due to the junction capacitance charging up - you'd see something similar in real life if you could set up a good enough experiment. If it bugs you, change your simulation time to say 1mS - you hardly notice it at all....

Bill
Junction capacitance would make the voltage rise slightly if anything, not droop. Zeners over 6v go up in voltage with a rise in temperature so it can't be temperature either. It must be a bug in LTSpice.
Old 25th September 2011, 11:14 PM   #8
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

you may need to adjust/inform your expectations of simulation, modeling, real world device tolerance/production spread

Spice DC solvers try to find the "steady state" solution before running the .tran simulation

these 2 different stages of simulation use different algorithms, can come to different conclusions - sometimes at very gross levels - much less the 10ppm you seem concerned about

a big weakness of Spice for matching "real world" results is that there is no "live" modeling of device thermal effects - the standard Spice transisitor, diode equations can be assigned a junction temperature -but is is fixed for the duration of the sim

Last edited by jcx; 25th September 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I see.

I was hoping to use LTSpice to experiment with basic stuff (such as the Zener regulation) I am trying to learn.
Guess I'm gonna have to just take its result with a grain of salt

Thanks again
Old 26th September 2011, 12:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

LTspice is pretty good, especially when you consider the price being charged for it.

It is not perfect. Better models do give better results. A good start in this regard is Bob Cordell's website, which has some improved models (including Zeners if I remember correctly).

You can also have a look at this thread.

Things you should know about LTSpice

Hide this!Advertise here!