Best free schematic/pcb software?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I have a design on paper which I have worked through with pen/paper and a calculator. It is a crytal oscillator, to be used in my CD and possibly other pieces of equipment. There are three seperate designs actually with more to follow !

So far the maths are good, triple checked etc. What I would like to do is to have it simulated in a software environment before i go ahead and get the PCB's etc made up.

Can anyone suggest something here that would fulfill my needs ?

Thankyou in anticipation of your reply

Gareth Thomas

Open source:
-"PCB" in the "gEDA" package
-Kicad
-FreePCB

I used all three for small designs and they all have error checking, etc..
They are all reasonably user friendly but Kicad is probably the most user friendly.
PCB is probably the most powerful for large designs since it has an autorouter.
PCB and Kicad have large libraries of components.

Free but not open source:
DesignSpark: no limitations; I haven't used it, but it seems user friendly but poor in libraries.
Eagle: I haven't used it but it seems to be limited in the free version, has many libraries and an unusual user interface.
DipTrace: haven't used it but the free version is limited.

Please post other free/open source software packages you know of.

Open source:
-"PCB" in the "gEDA" package
-Kicad
-FreePCB

I used all three for small designs and they all have error checking, etc..
They are all reasonably user friendly but Kicad is probably the most user friendly.
PCB is probably the most powerful for large designs since it has an autorouter.
PCB and Kicad have large libraries of components.

Free but not open source:
DesignSpark: no limitations; I haven't used it, but it seems user friendly but poor in libraries.
Eagle: I haven't used it but it seems to be limited in the free version, has many libraries and an unusual user interface.
DipTrace: haven't used it but the free version is limited.

Please post other free/open source software packages you know of.

Do note that there are online connected free routers available (uses a plugin) for KiCad. I have found some of the cheaper ones don't follow your controlled impedance and differential pair definitions... but this can be worked around.

I'm a proponent of KiCad, I like it more than what I use at work for design entry (DxDesigner/PADS from Mentor Graphics). Learning curve is high if you have to build your own libraries, especially if you want 3-D.
However there are many many many people who have posted extensive libraries. You can just start with an existing part with the same package, make a copy, edit it, and add it to a custom library. Simple.

Autorouting is a much miss used term, you can interactively route a PCB using the router tools, setting rules and constraints etc, but for simple analogue designs, NO, manual routing better. Interactive routing is a necessary with todays high speed digital boards, with length matching and thousands of connections, but again manual intervention always produces the best results.
Oh PCB design is 90% component placement, get that right and the routing will follow on...

I need to find free schematic/pcb software, amateur level. Needs to be simple and small learning curve. Main requirement is that it have a library with tube symbols, both on the schematic and the pcb side (sockets, etc.)

Would be good if it has standard output I can upload to a PCB prototype house.

Anything out there you guys like?

This is for PC, not Mac.

I find the Eagle PCB software is the nearest to what you request
Download - Get the latest Version of EAGLE PCB Design Software
There are two versions free and licensed ones but i think the free one is quite enought for you in this moment

Here are a link to my youtube channel where i provide a quite complete video eagle tutorial

bejaoui bechir - YouTube

Ill provide videos for isis and altium later on

you can also follow me on my facebook page

Electronics for all | Facebook

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.