Expresspcb -cannot see ratsnets or parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using Express Schematic and PCB for the first time and have some difficulties.
I have the EXACT same trouble on both a Laptop and a Desktop PC.
In schematic, I have given each part a Ref designator and value. So every part has a part name and a value.

After creating a simple 3 part schematic, error checking (none) , saving the schematic, I start PCB and do a "link PCB to schematic". In PCB, I find the schematic. Linking is acknowledged as OK.

However, PCB never shows any parts or a rats net. Display is a yellow box, black background with dots.

I am suspicious that the saved schematic may not be being saved in a folder that PCB knows where to look. Exactly where is the schematic to be saved?
Is saved different folders on each machine. I am using XP PRO SP3.

Sure need help. What am I doing wrong or not doing something that is needed?

Thanks, Dave_S

I'm not a expert with ExpressPCB but I've used it a few times. If I understand your question (and AFAIK), it won't show any components or traces until you add them. Albeit, when I use the software I don't bother with the schematic portion; I have that already. So I'm not sure how those are or aren't linked. I believe the software just compares your work on the PCB layout with connections found in the schematic. There is no autorouting or "doing the work for you." You have to add the parts and traces where you want them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.