diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Software Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/)
-   -   Appeal to John Broskie ... for Mac support (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/188561-appeal-john-broskie-mac-support.html)

triode_al 7th May 2011 11:37 AM

Appeal to John Broskie ... for Mac support

With his TubeCAD, John Broskie is the fame of many an audio DIYer - as long as you have a Windows platform. TubeCAD and B2 Spice are very useful for grossly checking a circuit idea, with a very good accuracy, also for trying various circuit topologies and see how they fit for a certain purpose. And the simulation helps understanding ideas you have.
I have last used B2 Spice until two years ago, and I have always associated Broskie as developer this tool.

But - I switched from Windows to Mac. And I can't find a tool as good as the B2 spice / electronics CAD software pack for the Mac.

My appeal is: please support me in asking Broskie to port his Windoze version to the Mac!

This is a plea from the market: add your thoughts. :)
Or tell me what excellent tools exist :confused:.

Albert

ps Of course I sent him a few mails ...

triode_al 7th May 2011 12:11 PM

I have just seen this post in this same section:
ARTA analysis SW and LTspice under OSX on a hackintosh.
That seems to point a way ahead.
I'll try Wine and then try to install B2 Spice.
albert

Kofi Annan 7th May 2011 12:29 PM

I've had good luck running LT SwitcherCad (LT Spice IV) on the Mac using crossover. I'd imagine it would be able to run other flavors of Spice and possibly the TubeCad / Glass Audio software as well.

Let us know if you are able to get any of Broskie's brilliant software on the Mac through Crossover!

Kofi

triode_al 7th May 2011 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed and brought up the Crossover Win Emulator.
Created a WinXP bottle (an environment).
Clicked on the B2-software - and this gave the old fashioned blue install screen.
I used the defaulted destination (c:\ etc).
It installed in less than 10 secs; notified this will start a 45 days trial period.; and the Finish button popped up.
OK!
I did select the B2 software:
I did get an address violation when it opened, but the desktop opens anyway.
Attachment 221957

I can select a schema that exists, and you can see I have the simulation running.
But the parts lib does not open:
Attachment 221958

I can't draw/change a schema.
B2 Spice requests common db sources I have not available.

Anyway, this is promissing.

albert
[By the way, CrossOver/Wine will support a software developer to port the Win package using their software]

triode_al 8th May 2011 09:00 AM

I've looked into this further:
I have read in the B2 Spice manual that it ain't anything to do with Broskie, he is just a very well known user and advocate. :eek:

The user manual says:
Quote:

B2 Spice
Version 5
USERíS MANUAL
Manual by Thien Nguyen, Christopher Hsiong and Jon Engelbert
© 1996 - 2005, Beige Bag Software, Inc.
info@beigebag.com
Beige Bag Software
(734) 332-0487

So should change the name of the thread, apologies John !!!!!!

Anyway,
in the Crossover registration mail I saw that they will help if there is a representative group who would like to have the Crossweaver development team support.
Quote:

We are very interested in supporting further applications, but
it is hard work, so we can only do it for single users that band
together or for organizations that have a fairly significant number
of users.

The bottom line is that if you need a particular application
supported, and you think it may be worth our while, please
write us back at this email address or to sales@codeweavers.com;
we are very interested in supporting your application.
Who would like to have B2 Spice running, on the Mac?
albert

triode_al 8th May 2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kofi Annan (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2564440#post2564440)
I've had good luck running LT SwitcherCad (LT Spice IV) on the Mac using crossover. I'd imagine it would be able to run other flavors of Spice and possibly the TubeCad / Glass Audio software as well.

Let us know if you are able to get any of Broskie's brilliant software on the Mac through Crossover!

Kofi

Hi Kofi,
I got LT Spice up but did not get everything running.
e.g. can not open no help file.
Any tricks?
albert

triode_al 8th May 2011 10:11 AM

Regarding LR Spice IV, I have downloaded Chmox - a viewer for the Microsoft help files.
Use finder to go to the LTspiceHelp.chm and I can fully browse it (alas not search)
This showed me how to make a shortcut to rotate, and also how to properly edit attributes.
I have run a simulation on a circuit, it looks like it is all functioning!
albert

kevinh 22nd May 2011 04:14 PM

IMO the best solution is to get parallels for the Mac so you can run your PC software there. It works great as long as you have a Mac with the intel chip.

triode_al 22nd May 2011 05:52 PM

I think you are right.
The cost has prohibited me (penny foolish, pound wise guy as I am :rolleyes:) But I will have to revert to that - later on when budget allows.

It is a big surprise the Mac community has not flowered in this direction.
albert

richiem 24th May 2011 05:26 AM

Surprises me too. Since the change to Intel processors, I think porting has gotten easier. Since I use a hackintosh, I can't run Parallels and such -- or at least not easily. CrossOver does run a lot of stuff though.