diptrace PCB dimensions problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Hosam is offline Hosam  Syria
diyAudio Member

Question diptrace PCB dimensions problem

I try diptrace as free version to design PCB for power supply schematic its very good and simple but I have problem when I try to print the PCB with it the program doesn't give the same dimension for the PCB how could I solve this one please?
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I use Diptrace and on the free version I have when you go to "preview" there is a "calibrate" feature. I have never had to use that though, always spot on in the default settings.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Like this,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diptrace calibrate.JPG (123.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I use it as you explain as I hope exactly anyway this is the picture that for the board without components inside it, when I try to print it the printer give me wrong dimensions do you suggest me to ask supported forum for the software or the problem with sitting I do as the picture?
Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled-1.png (32.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Top one (scale) is just for the on screen view as far as I know. You want to alter the "print scale" from the drop down menu. You'll have to try it. Just print them as drafts so as not to waste ink.

Best way to set it all is create a PCB using DIP IC's and print it out. That's a critical test.

Are you making the boards using an inkjet printer and UV light box ? You can achieve excellent results that way if you set the print options (on the printer) to give an intense image on a transparancy.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Print Scale is shown on your screen shot. make sure printer paper size is correct, and that the print driver is not scaling the image to fit paper size.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok I tried it now and the result with same picture:
the dimensions should be 91.44mm 27.94mm, but after I measure it on paper its 92mm 26mm
do you think I should use the Calibration option to make the printed paper with same dimension?
Note: the printer I use is Laser Canon 2900LPB and I don't use the driver option for anything I just use the default size from the program itself.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

As I say, I have never had to use this feature so you are going to have to experiment.

It's not a million miles out... are you using the Canon printer drivers or Windows default ones ? Don't know if that would make any difference.

My Diptrace manual is an older one so maybe see online if it's mentioned in the latest user manual.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:56 AM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would double check whether windows is doing any scaling. Looking at your drawing the endpoints for the 27.94 dimension are not the same width as the PCB, in fact the top end point looks 1.94mm wider than the board. So I would say the print out is pretty much spot on.
I would also avoid using 2 decimal places with PCB's for dimensions, one will suffice, and better still use maximum of 0.5mm steps. Standard PCB manufacturing tolerance is +/- 0.4mm
Old 24th February 2011, 12:34 PM   #10
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Also, take a look in the printers "toolbox", setup, or whatever it may be called.
Be sure there a no places where "fit to size" is tagged.

Hide this!Advertise here!