FFT / RTA measurement software for Mac - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2011, 05:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FFT / RTA measurement software for Mac

Wondering if anyone has found a decent Mac application within the last two years that has worked well for them. I can borrow a PC laptop if needed, but prefer to use something for Mac.

I have a Focusrite Saffire sound card, http://www.focusrite.com/support/saffire/saffire and am really only looking to do two fundamental things:

1. Pink noise / RTA measurements for basic loudspeaker measurements. Nothing fancy, just 1/3 octave to get an idea of driver polarities and room acoustics. Probably will do some experimentation with bass response, as I have a DCX2496 and would like to use it to its fullest.

2. FFT / distortion measurements of amplifiers and preamps. I have a FFT module in my Tek scope, but its only good to maybe -55dB.

A wave generator would not be required, as I have most of the test tones I need. I am not opposed to paying for the app, but don't want to drop $500, either. Any suggestions, or would it be best to pursue to the PC route?
Old 15th February 2011, 05:30 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mac-the-Scope will turn your Mac into an ocilliscope and more. I'm pretty sure that there are some simple RTAs, i use FuzzMeasure which is more sophisticated than that. For a simple RTA & SPL meter i use Studio Six Audio Tools on an older iPhone i gotten given as a tip (also gets used as a Remote for the G5 iMac music server).

dave
Old 15th February 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

FuzzMeasure looks promising; cheaper than MTS too. So as long as your sound card is decent, you get those pretty little -110dB FFT plots ?
Old 15th February 2011, 07:38 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I use an Edirol FA66 external Firewire ADC/DAC, conceptually similar to the Focusrite. As i'm only measuring speakers 110dB is something i'm not going to run into.

dave
Old 16th February 2011, 03:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I use an Edirol FA66 external Firewire ADC/DAC, conceptually similar to the Focusrite. As i'm only measuring speakers 110dB is something i'm not going to run into.

dave
Dave, would you recommend the FA66? Any warts?
Old 16th February 2011, 04:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Can anyone link to a good thread that discusses how to get optimal FFT plots with a soundcard? Loopback referencing, etc.
Old 16th February 2011, 04:23 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Dave, would you recommend the FA66? Any warts?
Yes. I really like it. It sounds good too. I prefer it with bus power, but at some pint i'll probably build a really nice supply for it.

nlike others i looked at (and own -- an Alesis), it has a very nice compact rectangular aluminum enclosure. I also have an Edirol USB unit in the same chassis.

Like most pro stuff you need to deal with the stereo phone jacks for output. Also without software that specifically accesses it (pure vinyl does) only 2 of the outputs work.

dave
Old 16th February 2011, 07:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Yes. I really like it. It sounds good too. I prefer it with bus power, but at some pint i'll probably build a really nice supply for it.

nlike others i looked at (and own -- an Alesis), it has a very nice compact rectangular aluminum enclosure. I also have an Edirol USB unit in the same chassis.

Like most pro stuff you need to deal with the stereo phone jacks for output. Also without software that specifically accesses it (pure vinyl does) only 2 of the outputs work.

dave
Thanks but it looks like I would need to buy an external 1394 card with the TI chipset. Warning was on Edirol's site, confirmed by some very p'd off users.
Old 16th February 2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Zodiac is offline Zodiac  United States
diyAudio Member

Fuzzmeasure is strongly recommended. Great UI, actually designed by a software designer rather than an acoustician or acoustic engineer
Old 16th February 2011, 08:20 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Thanks but it looks like I would need to buy an external 1394 card with the TI chipset. Warning was on Edirol's site, confirmed by some very p'd off users.
What Mac do you have that it dosen't work with?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!