Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2011, 08:30 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Fuzzmeasure is strongly recommended. Great UI, actually designed by a software designer rather than an acoustician or acoustic engineer
Indeed, Chris' dayjob is making your crackberry's software work.

BTW. He is quite isolated from the usual audio lit... feel free to send him interesting or relevant pdf articles.

dave
Old 17th February 2011, 01:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Don't do Macs anymore.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:53 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Don't do Macs anymore.
Condolences to you then.

And what are you doin' in a Mac sw thread?

dave

PS: i read today that Apple in now the largest seller of mobile PCs just passing HP
Old 17th February 2011, 03:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just got back confirmation that Fuzzmeasure does not provide the standard FFT plots, instead they provide 2nd and 3rd harmonic full range distortion plots. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I'll see how the demo does.

Quite a bit more money to get all the plug-ins for Mac the Scope, but it does have the features.
Old 17th February 2011, 05:32 PM   #15
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Room EQ Wizard is written in Java, is Mac compatible (in addition to Windows and Linux), and is actively being updated. A major update to v5.00 was released just a couple weeks ago.
Old 25th February 2011, 12:13 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

No luck so far. Room EQ Wizard refuses to permit calibration of the sound card; I get back errors about impulse response, and no matter what I do cannot get around it. Even trying an uncalibrated FFT, I get meaningless results- certainly nothing like their screenshots. I verified clean sine wave outputs and clean sine inputs, but still garbage results.

Mac the Scope, far as I can tell, will do RTA but not FFT.

Fuzzmeasure does not do FFT.

Any other options?
Old 25th February 2011, 12:20 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagflux View Post
No luck so far. Room EQ Wizard refuses to permit calibration of the sound card; I get back errors about impulse response, and no matter what I do cannot get around it. Even trying an uncalibrated FFT, I get meaningless results- certainly nothing like their screenshots. I verified clean sine wave outputs and clean sine inputs, but still garbage results.

Mac the Scope, far as I can tell, will do RTA but not FFT.

Fuzzmeasure does not do FFT.

Any other options?
This is a long shot but the NIH has some public domain (boy have we paid for it) programs with FFT capability in JAVA so they are browser not platform based. Start by looking for NIH-IMAGEJ (I might have this wrong, it's been a long time).
Old 26th February 2011, 03:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well, I have never been one to insist Mac or Win was the answer for everything; use whichever platform performs the task best.

In this case, I have had much better results with AudioTester and Arta on the PC. Specifically, running as a spectrum analyzer, with low emphasis on mic-RTA. Might even experiment to see how they perform in a virtual machine, so I can still use the Mac at home. Prices are more than reasonable, and I can use full functionality in demo mode for now.

In case anyone ventures down the same path.
Old 28th February 2011, 10:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Have you checked out Baudline? To me it looks very promising, but I don't know that much anyway.

baudline signal analyzer - FFT spectrogram (and it is FREE)
Old 9th March 2011, 03:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Contact me @ psteak@comcast.net or 707-812-7549 for all kinds of goodies!
Phil

Hide this!Advertise here!