Tool For box design. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2010, 02:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tool For box design.

Anybody here is aware of box design software that will help design box of my own shape? rather I am interested in the one that will give me Xplode view ( hope I said it right) that is give wood cut dimensions for its fabrications. I found google sketch is a good tool and easy too. but it does not maintain ratio when you change dimensions.so unable to get the real look of it.
Old 3rd December 2010, 05:13 AM   #2
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Default CAD software

I use AutoCAD 2007 at work, and AutoCAD Lite at home. I have also used TurboCAD, all of which take some getting used to because of the myriad of commands. I'm self taught and still learning after about five years!
There is a bit of a jump from using something like Sketch-up to professional design software
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:19 AM   #3
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

what you realy want is some 3D software like Inventor (easier to use than Acad) or Solidworks. Trouble is I dont know any free or cheap ones.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks Audio & Marce,

I am looking for a software that will give me 3D or Isometric view, So I can visualize exactly how the box looks like before I cut the wood. Also if the tool gives me ready xplode view and dimension of wood to be cut, then I can readily give the printout of drawing to Carpenter.
Old 10th January 2011, 09:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hey guys I am knocking again this thread. please help.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sketchup is adequate for many woodworkers and worked fine for me..... Can you be more be more clear about your issues with it? Might be that you've yet to stumble on the right command.

I'm pretty sure there are 3rd party plugins for Sketchup that can do the exploded view thing.

Check this site Sketchup for Woodworkers - Home for some tutorials.

Old 10th January 2011, 01:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Fb, At the first look the tool seems to be the one. But let me go through,and understand it. I will get back to you.

Once again thanks from the heart for the help.
Old 10th January 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Dear Fb,

I went on a quick view of tut. but I am looking for dimensions and its view in ratio.

Let me take an example.

I draw a rectangle box. then when I drew it was , 100mm x 200mm x 150mm.
now if I want to change it to 130mm x 125mm x 100mm. then by editing dimensions text it does not give me actual small scaled look of it. It only changes Text but the actual dimensions are unchanged.

I am still going through the tuts . Might need over night to completely read (see). I will write after I am done with tuts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th January 2011, 02:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Alibre is a reasonable, fully parametric 3D modelling with translation to drawings. Certainly does what you've described and as good as you'll ever need for a hobbyist. It's not free but pretty low cost at $99 for the basic edition. 30 day trial is free.

Alibre, Inc. - Alibre Design, the world's most affordable, professional 3D CAD solution
Old 10th January 2011, 05:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
Alibre is a reasonable, fully parametric 3D modelling with translation to drawings. Certainly does what you've described and as good as you'll ever need for a hobbyist. It's not free but pretty low cost at $99 for the basic edition. 30 day trial is free.

Alibre, Inc. - Alibre Design, the world's most affordable, professional 3D CAD solution
thanks I ll go through this link.

Hide this!Advertise here!