Tool For box design.

Anybody here is aware of box design software that will help design box of my own shape? rather I am interested in the one that will give me Xplode view ( hope I said it right) that is give wood cut dimensions for its fabrications. I found google sketch is a good tool and easy too. but it does not maintain ratio when you change dimensions.so unable to get the real look of it.

CAD software

I use AutoCAD 2007 at work, and AutoCAD Lite at home. I have also used TurboCAD, all of which take some getting used to because of the myriad of commands. I'm self taught and still learning after about five years!
There is a bit of a jump from using something like Sketch-up to professional design software

thanks Audio & Marce,

I am looking for a software that will give me 3D or Isometric view, So I can visualize exactly how the box looks like before I cut the wood. Also if the tool gives me ready xplode view and dimension of wood to be cut, then I can readily give the printout of drawing to Carpenter.

Dear Fb,

I went on a quick view of tut. but I am looking for dimensions and its view in ratio.

Let me take an example.

I draw a rectangle box. then when I drew it was , 100mm x 200mm x 150mm.
now if I want to change it to 130mm x 125mm x 100mm. then by editing dimensions text it does not give me actual small scaled look of it. It only changes Text but the actual dimensions are unchanged.

I am still going through the tuts . Might need over night to completely read (see). I will write after I am done with tuts.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Fb,

I went on a quick view of tut. but I am looking for dimensions and its view in ratio.

Let me take an example.

I draw a rectangle box. then when I drew it was , 100mm x 200mm x 150mm.
now if I want to change it to 130mm x 125mm x 100mm. then by editing dimensions text it does not give me actual small scaled look of it. It only changes Text but the actual dimensions are unchanged.

I am still going through the tuts . Might need over night to completely read (see). I will write after I am done with tuts.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you changed a text on the image, not the object itself. Sketchup certainly supports full editing of objects and shows them in real time.

Sounds like you changed a text on the image, not the object itself. Sketchup certainly supports full editing of objects and shows them in real time.

Yes you are correct thats the mistake I made. just realized my mistake. I still have some small issues. I will discuss here after I am completely done with tutorial which fb has recommended to follow. I hope tutorials should clear my doubts.

Sketchup is adequate for many woodworkers and worked fine for me..... Can you be more be more clear about your issues with it? Might be that you've yet to stumble on the right command.

I'm pretty sure there are 3rd party plugins for Sketchup that can do the exploded view thing.

Check this site Sketchup for Woodworkers - Home for some tutorials.

:)

Thanks I completed my first box. although its very basic but I could do it. those tutorials were great.

Can toy please suggest me 3rd party tool for exploded view and for neat printing.

Thanking you

Aucosticraft.

not really very complex as of now. Its only a subwoofer enclosure. but I wish to use the tool that would support me even for complex design. so that later i don't need to look for other tool.

DXF,Parasolid and step are tools that would support explode view if exported?

Attachments

• ISO_Front.jpg
    ISO_Front.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
DXF, Parasolid, STEP, are all just file formats. I think you are going to struggle if you try and export your model from Sketchup and use something else to generate the drawings and exploded views etc you can't do in Sketchup. I stick by my advice to use Alibre!

For example, an exploded view must come from an assembly of individually modeled parts that are stuck together with associations (often called mates or constraints). These are never exported from one design program to another.

I think it would be a good idea if you did some reading on 3D modeling principles and really understand what the work flow needs to be, and then choose a program to use that will do everything you need. Its not simple, but do-able. After all I managed to learn how to do it!