A note about ARTA audio analysis software - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2011, 05:55 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default ARTA

If you Google ARTA, I'm confident that you'll find it. I think it's from Checkoslavakia (sp?). The manuals in english are on the website, although I vaguely remember them being hard to find in english. I haven't personally used it yet, but I've read parts of the manual, and talked with people who have been using it. I believe Linkwitz is using it now as well. I found it when I was looking for a way to measure the psycho-acoustic effects of my listening room. Where in frequency does it ring, and because ringing has both a start up time, and a decay time, how would that affect perception? I theorized that you would want to decrease amplitude of frequencies that stimulate ringing, more than a calibrated mic with pink noise would suggest. If I understood correctly, according to Linkwitz, the "blackman burst" is one of the best ways. Understanding the limitations of each test method is important. In some rooms, the blackman burst may not be as good as some other thing. If all ARTA does is turn my laptop into a great spectrum anayzer (like it did for one friend of mine), I'd call it a best buy. 120dB noise floor and excellent display. But it does so much more, if you can make sense of the manual, which didn't seem too bad last time I looked at it.
Old 28th February 2011, 06:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Yes I've found ARTA extremely useful. It is incredibly easy to use, which is one of the reasons that I like it so much, especially it's logical approach to gate impulse responses.

You can use any signal for measurement and excitation within ARTA, it allows you to do this under the "external excitation" impulse response measurement. I haven't looked at the manual to figure out how to get ARTA to produce the blackman burst myself yet though, maybe this is in a more up to date version then what I'm using.
Old 8th March 2011, 06:29 PM   #13
PGDO is offline PGDO  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default ARTA and Pete Millett soundcard interface

I found the Arta software to be the best so far for audio measurements.

If you are interested in a interface in between your DUT and soundcard then have a look at Audio signal generator and (FFT)scope
Old 8th March 2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
That's interesting. Not seen that before, where did you find it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdinger View Post
If you Google ARTA, I'm confident that you'll find it. I think it's from Checkoslavakia (sp?).
No, not where did you find ARTA (it's Hungarian, BTW) but where did you find the Blackman Burst measurement? That's what I can't find. I'll search the manual again.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:35 PM   #15
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

ARTA is Croatian ;

Google is your friend

and yes - Google is Scandinavian

Old 8th March 2011, 07:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

It is? Why do they have a .hr website? I thought that was Hungary. Is it Croatian?

Edit: By golly you are right Choky! .HU is Hungary, .HR is Croatia. My apologies.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is? Why do they have a .hr website? I thought that was Hungary. Is it Croatian?

Edit: By golly you are right Choky! .HU is Hungary, .HR is Croatia. My apologies.
Yes, hrvatski to you Thanks Kevin for the heads up at 79euro it gets below the "just have it in the toolkit threshold".

Last edited by scott wurcer; 8th March 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

no need to apologize , especially to me ; it was just funny - but I thought that author of well respected software - prof. Ivo Mateljan - deserves that ppl not mix his nationality ..... when nationality is already brought to table .....

Old 9th March 2011, 01:38 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Well no matter which corner of the world it comes from, it's a great piece of software. I like it more every time I use it.
Old 18th March 2011, 06:26 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I am keen to try a speaker measurement program as I have a couple of drivers I need T&S data for.
ARTA LIMP looks a lot simpler to set up than Speaker Workshop but, having read through the manuals, I can't see any info on how to physically set up a driver for testing.
Should it be baffle mounted or suspended vertically (away from reflective surfaces etc.) ???? If the latter should it be clamped or suspend by wires/cord ???

Dave.

Hide this!Advertise here!