An awesome ZLCR meter - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2010, 05:34 PM   #21
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Hi Elvee, if there are no copyright issues, could you please attach the pdf from your link here ?

That forum requires registration to view the pdf, and the registration page is in french (and I don't know french).
Are you talking about this one?

And here is my version of the ZLCR meter (fully configurable).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZLCR.JPG (282.0 KB, 706 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tiny_coil_panionV2.pdf (34.4 KB, 255 views)
Old 16th September 2010, 03:01 AM   #22
pjp is offline pjp  India
diyAudio Member

Yes. Thank you.
Old 16th September 2010, 06:38 AM   #23
zdr is offline zdr  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Elvee, is your ZLCR meter using soundcard? If so, which software works with it?

I must say I am impressed about mine, now that is in the box and layout cleaned up. Very stable, consistent and accurate, does not get thrown out of balance with switching back and forth between C and L. I did not use voltage converter as I hate to see yet another cable going to the PC, I simply inserted 9V battery in the box with virtual ground.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:32 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr View Post
Elvee, is your ZLCR meter using soundcard? If so, which software works with it?
It works with the visual analyser.

I noticed yet some other quirky behaviour: it seems difficult to measure high quality inductances, because when the total voltage across the component is too small, it indicates underrange, even though the value is well within the range.
A work-around is to add a resistance in series with the coil, but it's not very elegant, and it certainly degrades accuracy.
The tare function seems to work very erraticaly: at times, it is unavailable, with the button grayed out, and other time, when it works (sort of), the tare value is completely random and changes each time you refresh it.
Old 16th September 2010, 09:05 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
I noticed yet some other quirky behaviour: it seems difficult to measure high quality inductances, because when the total voltage across the component is too small, it indicates underrange, even though the value is well within the range.
A work-around is to add a resistance in series with the coil, but it's not very elegant, and it certainly degrades accuracy.
The tare function seems to work very erraticaly: at times, it is unavailable, with the button grayed out, and other time, when it works (sort of), the tare value is completely random and changes each time you refresh it.
Not sure what you mean by "high quality" inductors. Low parasitic resistance? I was measuring air cores (2mm wire) and ferrite bell core (1.4mm) ones, all spot on; 0,82mH and 1.80mH respectively.

I have seen random graying out of the buttons too, so that's a bug. Also, it seems to refuse to attach itself to non-default Windows sound device.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:56 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr View Post
Not sure what you mean by "high quality" inductors. Low parasitic resistance? .
Yes: I tried to measure a 56H inductor using a 10ohm reference resistor, and it indicated underrange, even though the permitted range under those conditions is 10H to 10mH.
Old 16th September 2010, 05:24 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Elvee
Have you tried to fiddle with the zero tare? I mean 56 uH is not much. I have not my unit connected ftm. but I will test this next time.
Old 17th September 2010, 07:32 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman62 View Post
Elvee
Have you tried to fiddle with the zero tare? I mean 56 uH is not much. I have not my unit connected ftm. but I will test this next time.
I did try, but one time it's 0.000H, the next time 0.3154H, then 0.3462H.....
it seems completely random.
I've also noticed something else (not in the ZLCR): the frequency values in the spectrum display are incorrect: the fundamental at 1KHz f.e. is OK, but the harmonics are shifted, and the higher the harmonic, the larger the shift is: 150Hz at 2KHz, 300Hz at 5KHz, etc. Strange.
Old 17th September 2010, 05:52 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Asking for to much?

Elvee
I think you should mail the author about the bugs, fe. the frequency shifts. He will apreciate it. The software will be better further on.
I guess the zero resolution is not better then + - 1 uH. 1 uH is nothing. Just about two straight wires some centimeters long. If you want better specs you can't use the USB PSU and that simple circuit i refered to. In professional equipment, measuring such low values, you will have to pay a fortune to get stable measurings at 1uH resolution. I haven't even layed my hands on such expensive equipment, even though I work as a Metrology engineer, calibrating instruments at a petrochemical industry.

If you for example measure caps and have zeroed the unit with the box and the inbuilt short cables to the lab conectors and then connect your measuringcables, you see the capacitance changing when you bring the cables together or apart.
It's easily between 10 to 60pF just between the cables without any cap connected.
Old 17th September 2010, 06:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hm, tried to measure speaker resistance, and it was wildly off. DMM measured 3,9ohm, ZLRC: 14,2 ohm...

Hide this!Advertise here!