Any Suggestions on Free Spectrum Analyzer Software? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any Suggestions on Free Spectrum Analyzer Software?

Good morning all,

My apologies if this has been covered to death - I can't seem to get a straight answer out of the search tool, but that is likely my fault.

I'm looking for free software that can display real-time audio spectrum data. I'm doing some vibration measurements, and I'd like to look at spectral components. Resolution to 5 Hz or less would be nice, but beggars can't be choosers as they say!

I've heard of HOLM Impulse but haven't tried it as of yet - would that be a reasonable one?

Thanks for your help guys,

Jim
Old 24th March 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking that ARTA can probably do what you're after.
Old 24th March 2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Nehon is offline Nehon  Italy
diyAudio Member

You can try " Visual Analizer ", is a spectrum analizer complete with a scope, a waveform generator, a voltmeter and so on, you can find it here: Visual Analyser 2010 NE-XT v2.4
obviusly is completely free and ( I think ) could be useful for your needs.
Old 24th March 2010, 07:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for your suggestions, and for entertaining my newbie-ness

Arta looks perfect, thanks 5th! Nehon, I'll check out your link at home - it sounds interesting as well, but I am at work at the moment.

Thanks again guys!

Jim
Old 25th March 2010, 03:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've found that for signals that are not generated by (synchronized to)the sound card AudioTester //www.audiotester.de seems to work good.

Gary
Old 16th April 2010, 11:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Another freeware software called SynRTA from Liberty Instruments. Link: SynRTA Home Page

Best regards
J.C.Verdier Triode Spirit 2A3. Audio Analog Bellini, Ereshgikal DIY turntable/ Goldenote Borghese / Denon DL-103, Goldenote Koala Mini CD with Dumbo AC, DBX Tuner, Nakamichi CR-7, Revox B77, Triangle Comete ES, DIY interconnects web site in Turkish: www.stereomecmuasi.com

Last edited by Hakancez; 16th April 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 17th April 2010, 02:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Being a fervent Mac person (since 1984, and Apple II before), I hate to say it, but I need help finding a scope/spectrum analyzer cheap or free for Mac OS-X, please?

With earlier OSs, I used MacCRO. What a God-send to eyeball the spectrum and sooo much better than looking at sine waves. My next adventure has to do with filling the room with pink noise and watching the spectrum analyzer accumulate.

Footnote: Mac folks get really pissed when Windows sites act as if their's was the only platform in the world and don't bother saying, "... we're talking here only about Windows software...".
Old 17th April 2010, 07:32 PM   #8
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I did a lot of searching for one a few years ago, and found that a program called wavespectra did the best job for me.
Spectrum Analyzer for analyzing static WAV files

Last edited by Ron E; 17th April 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 17th April 2010, 08:07 PM   #9
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Being a fervent Mac person (since 1984, and Apple II before), I hate to say it, but I need help finding a scope/spectrum analyzer cheap or free for Mac OS-X, please?

With earlier OSs, I used MacCRO. What a God-send to eyeball the spectrum and sooo much better than looking at sine waves. My next adventure has to do with filling the room with pink noise and watching the spectrum analyzer accumulate.

Footnote: Mac folks get really pissed when Windows sites act as if their's was the only platform in the world and don't bother saying, "... we're talking here only about Windows software...".
Ill look in my downloads box
Old 7th May 2010, 10:37 PM   #10
JohnPM is offline JohnPM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
There's a Spectrum/RTA display in REW V5 Beta, works on Intel-based Macs. Quick overview here, download from here (requires registration).

Hide this!Advertise here!