Anyone using DipTrace non free version? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2010, 07:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone using DipTrace non free version?

Hi,

I have been using DipTrace to do my PCB layout but I have hit a snag. I have over 500 pins and it is limited to 250 pins. I have solved this by making two separate PCBs but now both are hitting 250 pins and the setup cost for making three different PCBs is very high. So, I would like to know if anyone out there is using DipTrace with a license for 1000 pins or more, and is willing to help me merge my PCBs together when I am all done? I am not going to sell these boards and I don't see myself making any other PCBs in the future so buying the software is kind of pointless for me.

Thankful for any help I can get.

Best regards,

Daniel
Old 16th March 2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I just use the freeware version but have found when I hit the 250 pin limit that you can still place individual pads OK and change the properties to what you want.
It seems to be just "library" parts it counts up.
Old 16th March 2010, 07:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The problem is that I do use a lot of library parts and can't really place more than 300 individual pads
Old 16th March 2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperion007 View Post
The problem is that I do use a lot of library parts and can't really place more than 300 individual pads
It is a little time consuming for sure but enabled me to complete the PCB's.
I was probably around 20 or 30 pads over the limit. If it's just a one off might be worth trying though.
I usually have a large DIP pattern I drag around for getting the individual pads placed and spaced correctly... just use as a template.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

but I am more than 300 pads of the limit and have already placed a large amount of individual pads.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:32 PM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In some of the larger packages from the likes of Cadence, Zuken and Mentor, you can hire a timed licence for features you dont have ie more pins, but arn't cheap enough for home use. I dont know whether Diptrace would do this, but it may be worth a try.
I would like to see cheap readily available non-comercial timed licences for hobby use, because as soon as you start doing any digital design 250 pins and 2/4 layers dont go very far, and if you do some serious digital design using say an FPGA you wouldn't get one chip on the board.
Old 17th March 2010, 05:02 PM   #7
novarm is offline novarm  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

DipTrace offers free 500-pin license for hobby or academic use. Contact their support and ask for registration key. 1000-pin license costs $125.
Also panelizing different PCBs is possible without limitations, check Edit/Keep RefDes while Pasting and copy/paste PCBs between instances.

Hide this!Advertise here!